[Tiki-devel] fixed width layout vs non-fixed width layout

[Tiki-devel] fixed width layout vs non-fixed width layout

Oliver Hertel
Hello,

I had a discussion with Gary about fixed page width in tiki for making features like
wiki pages and blogs better readable (long lines of text are hard to read).
Fixed width though may break other things like large tables (e.g. tracker
lists etc.) or forces tiki sidebars to being very narrow.

In my view fixed width layout produces some strange when you have a wider screen
and inside the browser window the diplayed content is limited to like half of the window,
thus creating scroll bars... feels weird when you could see the content in full window
width without having scrollbars.

Has anyone thought about that already or even have some ideas or solutions?
--
Cheers, Oliver

Re: [Tiki-devel] fixed width layout vs non-fixed width layout

Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant)
Hello Oliver,

I am not a fan of fixed width due to the space waste you mention. However I recognize the readability issue you also point out gives it a big advantage.

Years ago I thought it would be great if there was some continuity help in text, for example the same color for the last character of line 1 and the first character of line 2, so that full width can be as readable as fixed width or more. Unfortunately, I have never seen any software implementing that in many years, so I guess it must not be easy to implement, or otherwise too problematic :-( Considering that this should surely not be implemented in Tiki (HTML or CSS), I don't expect to see a solution for Tiki anytime soon.

So that's the idea, I let you decide if that qualifies as a solution :-)

> --
> Cheers, Oliver

Re: [Tiki-devel] fixed width layout vs non-fixed width layout

Dr. Sassafras
My preferred designed are semi-fixed-width. So there is a minimum and maximum width. I generally set some CSS rules to change formatting into say 3 groups. When it gets really tight, white space gets heavily slashed, while when it's really big, spacing is generous. theoryofcolor.org is such a design. (Tiki12)

True flexible (full width) design I find very hard to deal with, and I'm often not convinced it's best in terms of usability. I can say for sure that any typography studies I've conducted on that subject show very long lines to be sub-optimal. Images often don't line up properly as well (if they are included inline) sometimes when I find one of these sites (very few now) I have to make my window size smaller to view the page properly. Most of the time when people have enormous monitors, they often have more than one window open anyhow, there intention is not to view everything at maximum resolution.

True fixed with is also often cumbersome, with people using highly variable screen widths.

Most of my design experience is pre mobile necessary coding style. I've coded a few mobile sites but to be honest, I really like a site that shrinks well, and just use zoom on the though screen if something is hard to see, but then there are those people out there that don't have great vision, and I'm sure they would disagree with me. The constant loss of functionality that is frequently a "feature" on mobile sites is a constant frustration for me. A design that can shrink and expand between about 450-1700px while not loosing any content is often my ideal go-to.

Under certain circumstances a full width design may be nice though. Perhaps if it's more graphically orientated and the text is limited. Like a photography gallery site.

Those are my thoughts. Not sure if they present any reasonable solutions.

Brendan