[Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

[Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi devs,

Some of use noticed that demo.tiki.org does not show up in FF or chrome. Chromium is more helpful than FF inn so far as it provides an obscure error message: ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Yet demo.tiki.org does respond to non-modern browsers (konqueror) or wget and curl.

This is clearly an issue with browsers expecting something but I can't figure out what it is. The SSL certificate looks just as good as the one on working sites. Also, it is not expired. It is not the HSTS issue we had some time ago. demo.tiki.org does not show up in
http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/demo.tiki.org.html
it's not 100% but it's not worse than http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/doc.tiki.org.html

Pages like this one also do not help: http://techworldzone.com/2017/01/24/fix-chromes-err_spdy_protocol_error/

So, I'm at the end of ideas.

Anyone knows what to do?

Cheers,
J-M

Re: [Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

Dr. Sassafras
A couple of thoughts.

1. When I try to navigate to a file I know should exist, like tiki-index.php, I get a 404 error. (both in modern browsers and also curl)
2. When navigating to /, there are no headers that are sent back, so irregardless of what the error says, the server is just not sending anything back. (only in modern browsers)
3. I tried modifying the request headers to see if I could get a different response without luck…. maybe something I didn’t try?

It sounds like a server configuration issue to me. What that might be I really cant say….

Brendan

On May 8, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jonny Bradley-4
Hi all

Nice diagnosing Jean-Marc and Brendan, you're right, https://demo.tiki.org/index.php comes back with "Not Found" - hmmm...

Certainly a server issue, nothing to do with Tiki i think - wonder what's changed there?

I've had a quick look through the control panel thing and couldn't see anything regarding SSL etc (but i disabled some ancient, probably broken cron jobs ;) Ah, hold on, found it (inside subdomain) - so i turned off SSL (it says wait a few minutes) - hmm, it still redirects to https and now all is off i get this error from Chrome:

> You cannot visit demo.tiki.org at the moment because the website uses HSTS.

So maybe their control panel just doesn't work?

Anyway, i've put it back now (and as an experiment i enabled "force SSL", as it seems to be doing that anyway), must move on...

jb

p.s. Hang on, https://demo.tiki.org/tiki-index.php really doesn't exist - all the tikis are in directories there, however https://demo.tiki.org/trunk should and does exist, so i think the problem is a redirect thing on the root of the site, directory indexing or something?

> On 9 May 2017, at 03:45, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A couple of thoughts.
>
> 1. When I try to navigate to a file I know should exist, like tiki-index.php, I get a 404 error. (both in modern browsers and also curl)
> 2. When navigating to /, there are no headers that are sent back, so irregardless of what the error says, the server is just not sending anything back. (only in modern browsers)
> 3. I tried modifying the request headers to see if I could get a different response without luck…. maybe something I didn’t try?
>

> It sounds like a server configuration issue to me. What that might be I really cant say….
>
> Brendan
>

>> On May 8, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Some of use noticed that demo.tiki.org does not show up in FF or chrome. Chromium is more helpful than FF inn so far as it provides an obscure error message: ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR
>>
>> Yet demo.tiki.org does respond to non-modern browsers (konqueror) or wget and curl.
>>
>> This is clearly an issue with browsers expecting something but I can't figure out what it is. The SSL certificate looks just as good as the one on working sites. Also, it is not expired. It is not the HSTS issue we had some time ago. demo.tiki.org does not show up in
>> http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/demo.tiki.org.html
>> it's not 100% but it's not worse than http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/doc.tiki.org.html
>>
>> Pages like this one also do not help: http://techworldzone.com/2017/01/24/fix-chromes-err_spdy_protocol_error/
>>
>> So, I'm at the end of ideas.
>>
>> Anyone knows what to do?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> J-M

Re: [Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

Torsten Fabricius-4
I have the same server (shared host) and manage the same for various
projects.

Could ist be HTHS ?

I cannot copy/paste the HTHS description text, so in short: HTHS defines
a max-age value in order to specify that the visitors browser should
only connect to the website via encrypted ssl connection ...
... Attention: if you decide to uninstall the certificate and to disable
SSL, visitors might not even be able to access the website.

All-inkl (the ISP) offers automatic free trusted 'Let's Encrypt'
certificates, which automatically get updated / refreshed / renewed.

Might it be possible that HTHS has been activated and the certificate
got renewed  this caused the issue?

Anyway, I use 'force SSL' = yes and 'enable HTHS' = no

Best regards,
Torsten

On 09.05.2017 12:37, Jonny Bradley wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Yet demo.tiki.org does respond to non-modern browsers (konqueror) or wget and curl.
>>>
>>> This is clearly an issue with browsers expecting something but I can't figure out what it is. The SSL certificate looks just as good as the one on working sites. Also, it is not expired. It is not the HSTS issue we had some time ago. demo.tiki.org does not show up in
>>> http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/demo.tiki.org.html
>>> it's not 100% but it's not worse than http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/doc.tiki.org.html
>>>
>>> Pages like this one also do not help: http://techworldzone.com/2017/01/24/fix-chromes-err_spdy_protocol_error/
>>>
>>> So, I'm at the end of ideas.
>>>
>>> Anyone knows what to do?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> J-M

Re: [Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

Leu-3

i agree, there seems to be problems.
I have tried successfully on my mobile phone with Firefox and Opera.
On desktop IE11 and Vivaldi are ok. Firefox x64 v53.0.2 fails.

I will have a look in the evening.
--
Cheers:> Leu
- Turn to the tiki-way of life -

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
A couple of thoughts.

1. When I try to navigate to a file I know should exist, like tiki-index.php, I get a 404 error. (both in modern browsers and also curl)

Good thinking, but wrong URL. As Jonny pointed out, there is no demo.tiki.org/tiki-index.php however, all of the following still function:
https://demo.tiki.org/showcases_and_experiments/
https://demo.tiki.org/15x/
https://demo.tiki.org/admin_password_reset.txt

2. When navigating to /, there are no headers that are sent back, so irregardless of what the error says, the server is just not sending anything back. (only in modern browsers)

Queries through wget show very similar results. I guess it is something to do with extra headers modern browsers send to the server :-(

3. I tried modifying the request headers to see if I could get a different response without luck…. maybe something I didn’t try?

Since the only failing URL was /, I thought about looking up .htaccess and I found the line which causes the issue:
HeaderName header.html

That's the one which displays the explanations (admin password, etc) on top if the directory listing.

I could not find out why there is an issue with it. I also could not find the apache errors log.

I could, however comment the line and replace it with :
ReadmeName header.html

which does the same, only under the listing, not on top.

It sounds like a server configuration issue to me. What that might be I really cant say….

Yes. Any  idea? Anyone ever seen this elsewhere?

Cheers,
J-M

[...]

it seems to be ok now.

I have activated HSTS with a max-aging-time from 15768000 seconds.
"Force SSL" is not activated this time.
After this a new (Let´s encrypt-) certificate will be created and after
some minutes it´s activated...

--
Cheers:> Leu
- Turn to the tiki-way of life -

Am 09.05.2017 um 13:29 schrieb Leu:

> [...]
>
>             Yet demo.tiki.org <http://demo.tiki.org> does respond to
>             non-modern browsers (konqueror) or wget and curl.
>
>             This is clearly an issue with browsers expecting something
>             but I can't figure out what it is. The SSL certificate looks
>             just as good as the one on working sites. Also, it is not
>             expired. It is not the HSTS issue we had some time ago.
>             demo.tiki.org <http://demo.tiki.org> does not show up in
>             http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/demo.tiki.org.html
>             it's not 100% but it's not worse than
>             http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/doc.tiki.org.html
>
>             Pages like this one also do not help:
>             http://techworldzone.com/2017/01/24/fix-chromes-err_spdy_protocol_error/
>
>             So, I'm at the end of ideas.
>
>             Anyone knows what to do?
>
>             Cheers,
>             J-M

Re: [Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

Hi Leu,

Did you see my mail? It is not fixed. Just worked around.

Uncommenting the following line in .htaccess
#HeaderName header.html
still denies access to demo.tiki.org
I wonder if there is an explanation in some error log

ReadmeName header.html
works but it displays the explanations below the listing instead of on top of the page.

Cheers,
J-M

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Leu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>             Yet demo.tiki.org <http://demo.tiki.org> does respond to
>             non-modern browsers (konqueror) or wget and curl.
>
>             This is clearly an issue with browsers expecting something
>             but I can't figure out what it is. The SSL certificate looks
>             just as good as the one on working sites. Also, it is not
>             expired. It is not the HSTS issue we had some time ago.
>             demo.tiki.org <http://demo.tiki.org> does not show up in
>             http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/demo.tiki.org.html
>             it's not 100% but it's not worse than
>             http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/doc.tiki.org.html
>
>             Pages like this one also do not help:
>             http://techworldzone.com/2017/01/24/fix-chromes-err_spdy_protocol_error/
>
>             So, I'm at the end of ideas.
>
>             Anyone knows what to do?
>
>             Cheers,
>             J-M

Re: [Tiki-devel] demo.tiki.org unavailable in strange ways

Hi Jean-Marc,

Yes, i saw your mail today morning.

i have done my changes yesterday evening.

I send my mail originally yesterday but they was bounced because of wrong email :-( so resend today morning.

I will check again in the evening.
--
Cheers:> Leu
- Turn to the tiki-way of life -