[Tiki-devel] What is the addtogooglecal option for?

[Tiki-devel] What is the addtogooglecal option for?

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi devs,

I did some experiment with calendars last week on demo.tiki.org trunk and it did not go smootly.

* I created a calendar on demo-trunk
* When I attempted to create a new event, I got an error:
Plugin disabled
Plugin addtogooglecal cannot be executed.
Plugin Add to Google Calendar

Problems:
* I was not attempting to do anything related to Google calendars :-( This is confusing
* I do not seem to be able to enter an event if I ignore this message.
* Clicking on the links for enabling the plugin failed as most of these link do since the XSS "ignore GET params" security fix, so I had a hard time fidning it (I can't find it on https://demo.tiki.org/trunk/tiki-admin.php?page=textarea#contentadmin_textarea-2 , the options search did not show it).

Finally I found it in Settings → Calendar. But why is it required? If nothing works without it, why is it an option? What is the relationship with Google?

I'm all puzzled :-(

Cheers,
J-M

Re: [Tiki-devel] What is the addtogooglecal option for?

Torsten Fabricius-4
Hello Jean-Marc,

I did consider this feature years ago as a temporary workaround until we get CalDAV sync to Tiki, but did stop using it ... I remember about the following procedure / setup:

  • You need a Google Calender.

  • You need to be logged in to the Google Calender.

  • You click on the Button "add to google calendar" of which I do not know if it is still existing in post-12 Tikis

  • The button contains a link that sends the event to your Google Calendar as some mixture of a HTL and a iCal part (not really sure):

The problem I did not managed to solve was the parsing of the calendars content in the Google Calendar ... at some place calendar events have been displayed either as plain WIki Syntax or as plain HTML instead of parsed WYSIWYG  text.

Not even sure if I any used WYSIWYG - likely tried.

Anyway I think this is the wrong way around:

Tiki should be fully reliable act as WebClient for arbitrary (at least for a set of specific) CalDAV servers.

Google has not any a usable Client capability and refuses to implement, cause this would let them lose their market-dominating position.

Tiki as a Client instead would open up to use Tiki Clients with more or less arbitrary tools, users use anyway in their collaborative projects or companies whilst lacking a comprehensive WebClient, which for example can independently publish (to the public!) or limit the various group calendars based on Tikis own user permission settings.

The most important Servers Tiki should be capable to work with are the main SabreDav based servers like SabreDav itselb, OwnCloud, Nextcloud, Baikal, then maybe Radicale and definitely Google.

This way it would be even possible for project administrators to soothly guide Google users to FOSS software.

Tiki should do what it has to do and concentrate on the essentials.

I do see no need for a Tiki server trying to push data to Google, but I see the essential need for Tiki to fetch from respectively sync data from and to Servers.

This way it would be very simple to even sync calendars between several Tikis, even Tikis of independant organisations and share the same data synced.

This way I even could provide a calendar service with a Tiki frontend, where I manage calendars of various Teams and infrastructures centrally.

... more? ...

Best regards,
Torsten

On 20.03.2017 16:56, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
[...]

Hi Torsten,

Thank you for the full historical status.

I figured out my mistake of last week: I did check «Show “Add to Google Calendar” icon», and it did complain that I had not activated "Plugin Add to Google Calendar".
But I thought I could ignore it because there is no “Add to Google Calendar” icon. Just the "Add Event". That might be because I don't have a Google Calendar…

This might require more experimenting. Maybe all is as it should be.

Cheers,
J-M