[Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

[Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

Hans Hermann Meyer
We use our company Tiki exclusively from within our company network.
Some of the computers that are regularly used for accessing our Tiki
don't have internet access. And this causes a problem.

We run Tiki 15LTS (now 15.4). Some users have been complaining about
long delays when opening the home page of our Tiki.
In the page inspector of a browser one can see that Tiki wants to load
fonts from places outside our network. The wait for the timeout is
causing the delay.

We use Lumen as site theme and United for administration.

For the time being I uncommented the first line in
/themes/lumen/css/lumen.css where the font is supposed the be imported
from Google.
But I (and my collegues) would have to keep this in mind and manage this
manually every time there is an update.

Is there a proper way around this other than changing the site theme or
writing our own?

Best regards,
Hans

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

Torsten Fabricius-4
Hello Hans Hermann,

site themes are not updated so often and usually work through several versions.
In case there is some bugfix, it would be quite easy to update a duplicated theme.

I suggest the following:

copy the folder /themes/lumen as is to /themes/lumen2

in lumen2 you make your changes, but you consider to add a README.txt file where you note the non-obvious changes (respectively places).

If you now update the Tiki directly from the repository (via svn) you would not risk to overwrite the changes (as themes and everything but not custom folders are part of the svn ugrade process.

If you upgrade via downloaded branch files, you simply need to copy the folder lumen2 into the upgrades themes folder.

The local font can be stored in /themes/lumen2/fonts and imported from there instead of from Google.

I hope that hels. Maybe someone else has more ideas or better optons.

Regards,
Torsten

On 08.03.2017 08:21, Hans Hermann Meyer wrote:
[...]

Another possible solution is this - according to
https://developers.google.com/fonts/faq :

"Note that when browsers render websites that use the Google Fonts API,
they will check if a font is installed locally on your computer, and
prefer to use the local version over web fonts...."

So if you can arrange to have the font files installed on your local
computers, this should solve the problem.

There's supposed to be a download link at Google Fonts pages for the
font faces for these themes. In a quick look, I couldn't find it, but
did find one at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/source-sans-pro (for
Lumen).

-- Gary

On 3/8/2017 4:21 PM, Hans Hermann Meyer wrote:

> We use our company Tiki exclusively from within our company network.
> Some of the computers that are regularly used for accessing our Tiki
> don't have internet access. And this causes a problem.
>
> We run Tiki 15LTS (now 15.4). Some users have been complaining about
> long delays when opening the home page of our Tiki.
> In the page inspector of a browser one can see that Tiki wants to load
> fonts from places outside our network. The wait for the timeout is
> causing the delay.
>
> We use Lumen as site theme and United for administration.
>
> For the time being I uncommented the first line in
> /themes/lumen/css/lumen.css where the font is supposed the be imported
> from Google.
> But I (and my collegues) would have to keep this in mind and manage this
> manually every time there is an update.
>
> Is there a proper way around this other than changing the site theme or
> writing our own?
>
> Best regards,
> Hans

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

Jonny Bradley-4
Hi Hans

Alternatively (and i think simpler, but thanks Gary and Torsten ;) just add this to your custom css pref on admin/look:

        body { font-family: sans-serif; }

and you won't need to install fonts or modify themes if you dan't want to, plus it will be ok for upgrades in the future.

jonny

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 09:04, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Another possible solution is this - according to
> https://developers.google.com/fonts/faq :
>
> "Note that when browsers render websites that use the Google Fonts API,
> they will check if a font is installed locally on your computer, and
> prefer to use the local version over web fonts...."
>
> So if you can arrange to have the font files installed on your local
> computers, this should solve the problem.
>
> There's supposed to be a download link at Google Fonts pages for the
> font faces for these themes. In a quick look, I couldn't find it, but
> did find one at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/source-sans-pro (for
> Lumen).
>
> -- Gary
>

> On 3/8/2017 4:21 PM, Hans Hermann Meyer wrote:
>> We use our company Tiki exclusively from within our company network.
>> Some of the computers that are regularly used for accessing our Tiki
>> don't have internet access. And this causes a problem.
>>
>> We run Tiki 15LTS (now 15.4). Some users have been complaining about
>> long delays when opening the home page of our Tiki.
>> In the page inspector of a browser one can see that Tiki wants to load
>> fonts from places outside our network. The wait for the timeout is
>> causing the delay.
>>
>> We use Lumen as site theme and United for administration.
>>
>> For the time being I uncommented the first line in
>> /themes/lumen/css/lumen.css where the font is supposed the be imported
>> from Google.
>> But I (and my collegues) would have to keep this in mind and manage this
>> manually every time there is an update.
>>
>> Is there a proper way around this other than changing the site theme or
>> writing our own?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Hans

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

luciash d' being
This will still try to load the google fonts from the theme CSS file
first so this won't help I would say...

luci

On 03/08/2017 11:09 AM, Jonny Bradley wrote:

> Hi Hans
>
> Alternatively (and i think simpler, but thanks Gary and Torsten ;) just add this to your custom css pref on admin/look:
>
> body { font-family: sans-serif; }
>
> and you won't need to install fonts or modify themes if you dan't want to, plus it will be ok for upgrades in the future.
>
> jonny
>

>> On 8 Mar 2017, at 09:04, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Another possible solution is this - according to
>> https://developers.google.com/fonts/faq :
>>
>> "Note that when browsers render websites that use the Google Fonts API,
>> they will check if a font is installed locally on your computer, and
>> prefer to use the local version over web fonts...."
>>
>> So if you can arrange to have the font files installed on your local
>> computers, this should solve the problem.
>>
>> There's supposed to be a download link at Google Fonts pages for the
>> font faces for these themes. In a quick look, I couldn't find it, but
>> did find one at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/source-sans-pro (for
>> Lumen).
>>
>> -- Gary
>>

>> On 3/8/2017 4:21 PM, Hans Hermann Meyer wrote:
>>> We use our company Tiki exclusively from within our company network.
>>> Some of the computers that are regularly used for accessing our Tiki
>>> don't have internet access. And this causes a problem.
>>>
>>> We run Tiki 15LTS (now 15.4). Some users have been complaining about
>>> long delays when opening the home page of our Tiki.
>>> In the page inspector of a browser one can see that Tiki wants to load
>>> fonts from places outside our network. The wait for the timeout is
>>> causing the delay.
>>>
>>> We use Lumen as site theme and United for administration.
>>>
>>> For the time being I uncommented the first line in
>>> /themes/lumen/css/lumen.css where the font is supposed the be imported
>>> from Google.
>>> But I (and my collegues) would have to keep this in mind and manage this
>>> manually every time there is an update.
>>>
>>> Is there a proper way around this other than changing the site theme or
>>> writing our own?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Hans

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

Jonny Bradley-4

Ah, of course, from the @import statement - thanks Luci...

There doesn't seem to be a way of "cancelling" an @import statement, but maybe you could add the same font file on your server and include it in some custom html, like:

  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://tiki.local/themes/fonts/afont/borrrowed_font_file.woff2">

or something, and then maybe the browser would be bright enough not to bother trying to get the same thing from outside?

Hmmm, probably not - i guess you'll have to hack the css or use a theme without an external font? (or install the fonts on everyone's machines)

jonny

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 10:11, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This will still try to load the google fonts from the theme CSS file
> first so this won't help I would say...
>
> luci
>

> On 03/08/2017 11:09 AM, Jonny Bradley wrote:
>> Hi Hans
>>
>> Alternatively (and i think simpler, but thanks Gary and Torsten ;) just add this to your custom css pref on admin/look:
>>
>> body { font-family: sans-serif; }
>>
>> and you won't need to install fonts or modify themes if you dan't want to, plus it will be ok for upgrades in the future.
>>
>> jonny
>>

>>> On 8 Mar 2017, at 09:04, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Another possible solution is this - according to
>>> https://developers.google.com/fonts/faq :
>>>
>>> "Note that when browsers render websites that use the Google Fonts API,
>>> they will check if a font is installed locally on your computer, and
>>> prefer to use the local version over web fonts...."
>>>
>>> So if you can arrange to have the font files installed on your local
>>> computers, this should solve the problem.
>>>
>>> There's supposed to be a download link at Google Fonts pages for the
>>> font faces for these themes. In a quick look, I couldn't find it, but
>>> did find one at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/source-sans-pro (for
>>> Lumen).
>>>
>>> -- Gary

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

Marc Laporte-3
Would there be a way to make this (connecting out for fonts) optional?

@Hans: FYI: https://doc.tiki.org/URLs+that+Tiki+connects+to

Thanks!

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki and fonts from other places

Hans Hermann Meyer
My solution so far:

1. cloned the theme and gave the clone a new distinctive name
2. changed the name of the css file in directory /css of the new theme to match the name of the new theme
3. changed the name of the css file in directory /less of the new theme to match the name of the new theme
4. went to https://www.fontsquirrel.com/ and downloaded the font that would been downloaded from Google
5. went to https://www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator and downloaded the optimal font package after uploading them again
6. put the fonts (.woff and .woff2) from the downloaded package into the /fonts directory of the new theme
7. in /css/new_theme_name.css commented out the @import instructions and pasted the @font-face code from fontsquirrel (found in stylesheet.css of the downloaded package) at the top of the file
8. in /less/new_theme_name.css commented out the @import instructions and pasted the @font-face code from fontsquirrel (found in stylesheet.css of the downloaded package) at the top of the file
9. changed the path for the .woff and .woff2 in the files from 7 and 8 to point to the files in the /fonts directory of the new theme

Points 2 and 3 could possibly be combined, I did not find the option to download a font package without uploading them before.

Seems to work.

HTH, Hans

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com