[Tiki-devel] Tiki Prefs Documentation

Brendan Ferguson
So I Just committed in 61153 a file to auto-generate wiki code from existing preferences that can be pasted into the admin panel documentation on doc.tiki.org.

With this little script one should be able to update all the prefs documentation in a couple hours.

I plan on trying to merge the existing documentaiton online with what is in tiki, so it can be auto-generated to tiki 17 options.

I presume this will also work fine in say 15.x, but am not sure I want to tackle that.

This brings up a few questions for the community.

Should this file be intregrated into console.php?  perhaps php console.php preferences:document, or at the very least, where does it belong?

Also, its super easy to include much more info now. So If I had a working template of what kind of code it should generate, we could even do stuff like colour code experimental/basic/advanced. Show dependencies, etc. So if someone wanted to provide me with a working example of ideal output, I would be happy to make the changes and then the new and improved documentation look to doc.tiki.org.

You can see an example of the current output in action at https://doc.tiki.org/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=3649&no_bl=y I pasted the 17.x options from the generated code.

Also as always, please feel free to modify and extend if you so please.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Prefs Documentation

Jonny Bradley-4
Hi Brendan

Thanks for starting this - but why did you do this as a CLI command i'm wondering? As it would be needed in wiki pages i thought a plugin would surely be the way to go. A command will need running  by someone with shell access to the server, so won't get done (believe me) - if it was automatic (and cached lots) then it can keep itself up to date, which is the only way things like this happen here imho :)

However, i don't have time to look into the code deeply so maybe i've missed something, but am just wondering...

Thanks again,.

jonny

> On 31 Jan 2017, at 10:12, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sample look very nice… no way to automatically generate a screenshot of the page and place it above ? :-"
>

>> On 31 Jan 2017, at 07:23 , Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So I Just committed in 61153 a file to auto-generate wiki code from existing preferences that can be pasted into the admin panel documentation on doc.tiki.org.
>>
>> With this little script one should be able to update all the prefs documentation in a couple hours.
>>
>> I plan on trying to merge the existing documentaiton online with what is in tiki, so it can be auto-generated to tiki 17 options.
>>
>> I presume this will also work fine in say 15.x, but am not sure I want to tackle that.
>>
>> This brings up a few questions for the community.
>>
>> Should this file be intregrated into console.php?  perhaps php console.php preferences:document, or at the very least, where does it belong?
>>
>> Also, its super easy to include much more info now. So If I had a working template of what kind of code it should generate, we could even do stuff like colour code experimental/basic/advanced. Show dependencies, etc. So if someone wanted to provide me with a working example of ideal output, I would be happy to make the changes and then the new and improved documentation look to doc.tiki.org.
>>
>> You can see an example of the current output in action at https://doc.tiki.org/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=3649&no_bl=y I pasted the 17.x options from the generated code.
>>
>> Also as always, please feel free to modify and extend if you so please.
>>
>> Brendan
>
> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Prefs Documentation

Brendan Ferguson
lol. I dont think so.

Ive also considerably refined the look on edge cases since I posted. Ive integrated hints, added escaping where needed and have also linked dedicated pages to the text (in prefs as 'help')

So after these minor changes I think it generates something that looks nicer than some of the nicer documentation that is up there now.

I will re-post a sample output in a few minutes.

Brendan

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I dont really have a good idea how the release process works & cant quite get my mind around how to do a fully automated system like your suggesting.

Right now it simply generates preference tables based on whats in tiki. There is still a little human interaction needed, but im working to reduce that. I think the only thing is to separate the preferences by tabs, right now it generates one preference list for each preference page.

So, basically, I dont know how I would make a plugin that would work on the tiki servers. It likely wouldn't be too difficult to adapt it though.

So let me refine the process a bit. Fully automated preference generation brings a lot of other issues to overcome.

How many versions to show? Will they be editable on doc.tiki.org? Do we support older version preferences? Since it relys on whats in tiki it may take significant effort in filling out those preferences in older tiki releases.

Right now anyone can generate these files. So its not limited to just people who have access to the tiki server.

How would you see it integrating them into tiki in a fully automated way? (presuming the ability to generate all the preference files perfectly)

Brendan

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Jonny Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Brendan

Thanks for starting this - but why did you do this as a CLI command i'm wondering? As it would be needed in wiki pages i thought a plugin would surely be the way to go. A command will need running  by someone with shell access to the server, so won't get done (believe me) - if it was automatic (and cached lots) then it can keep itself up to date, which is the only way things like this happen here imho :)

However, i don't have time to look into the code deeply so maybe i've missed something, but am just wondering...

Thanks again,.

jonny

> On 31 Jan 2017, at 10:12, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sample look very nice… no way to automatically generate a screenshot of the page and place it above ? :-"
>

>> On 31 Jan 2017, at 07:23 , Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So I Just committed in 61153 a file to auto-generate wiki code from existing preferences that can be pasted into the admin panel documentation on doc.tiki.org.
>>
>> With this little script one should be able to update all the prefs documentation in a couple hours.
>>
>> I plan on trying to merge the existing documentaiton online with what is in tiki, so it can be auto-generated to tiki 17 options.
>>
>> I presume this will also work fine in say 15.x, but am not sure I want to tackle that.
>>
>> This brings up a few questions for the community.
>>
>> Should this file be intregrated into console.php?  perhaps php console.php preferences:document, or at the very least, where does it belong?
>>
>> Also, its super easy to include much more info now. So If I had a working template of what kind of code it should generate, we could even do stuff like colour code experimental/basic/advanced. Show dependencies, etc. So if someone wanted to provide me with a working example of ideal output, I would be happy to make the changes and then the new and improved documentation look to doc.tiki.org.
>>
>> You can see an example of the current output in action at https://doc.tiki.org/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=3649&no_bl=y I pasted the 17.x options from the generated code.
>>
>> Also as always, please feel free to modify and extend if you so please.
>>
>> Brendan
>
> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Prefs Documentation

Brendan Ferguson
So after thinning about it for a night:

*Plugin looks for tab_name_current_version.json
*If pref_tab_name_current_version.json is not found, pref_*_current_version.json are created.
*That file supplies tab pref information & previous versions available & subversion the prefs were generated from.
*If subversion is < than current pref_*_current_version.json are re-generated.
*By default, all supported versions are displayed. An other tab is also displayed that enables viewing of archived versions.
*The plugin will have a img parameter with a array of version:fileGalleryId as its content.
*If no images exists for a particular version tab, the previous image is used.

{TIKIPREFS tabname="Look:General" img="17:378|12:299|9:172"}

In this example, the image for 12.x will be displayed on tabs 16-12. etc.

Downsides:
*After tiki server has undergone a major update, it wont continue to update older versions, (but im guessing my then there will be little to no changes)
*Wont allow user contribution via the doc.tiki.org site. Changes need to be committed to SVN.

But it would:

*Keep documentation up to date all the time, for every current and soon to be versions.
*Allow plugin enhancements and website look and feel to be applied to older preferences.
*Keep an archive all all past changes
*Allow for manual editing (of json file) of versions lower than doc.tiki server.
*Create one place for general pref documentation.

Brendan