[Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Tiki flags are used in trackers (country field), in language switch and more.

BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !

They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.

Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage) of flags icon.
I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.

Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things like flags or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new set in the themes/mytheme folder.
I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Gary Cunningham-Lee
I didn't look into the implementation details yet, but there's also an
SVG solution here: http://flag-icon-css.lip.is/

So these are scalable, etc., similar to the icon font sets. (They can
also be displayed normally or round or with shadows, etc. since they're
styled with CSS. )

-- Gary

On 3/19/2017 9:00 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Tiki flags are used in trackers (country field), in language switch and
> more.
>
> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>
> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>
> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage) of flags
> icon.
> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>

> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things like flags
> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new set in
> the themes/mytheme folder.
> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).
>

> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Torsten Fabricius-4
Hi Bernard,

please consider LGP or MIT license!

Regards,
Torsten

Brendan Ferguson

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

The set I linked to has an MIT license.

On 3/19/2017 11:46 PM, Torsten wrote:

> Hi Bernard,
>
> please consider LGP or MIT license!
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> On 19.03.2017 13:13, Gary Cunningham-Lee wrote:
>> I didn't look into the implementation details yet, but there's also an
>> SVG solution here: http://flag-icon-css.lip.is/
>>
>> So these are scalable, etc., similar to the icon font sets. (They can
>> also be displayed normally or round or with shadows, etc. since they're
>> styled with CSS. )
>>
>> -- Gary
>>
>> On 3/19/2017 9:00 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Tiki flags are used in trackers (country field), in language switch and
>>> more.
>>>
>>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>>>
>>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>>>
>>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage) of flags
>>> icon.
>>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>>>

>>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things like flags
>>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new set in
>>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).
>>>

>>> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Jean-Marc Libs
They look nice and the license is good, but they only have country flags and we have more than country flags in Tiki.

We also have Europe, United_Nations_Organization, world, unknown, maybe others flags. I suppose these can be added easily.

Actually, having so many flags is a problem when we create a country selector. Maybe we could take this occasion and think of some method for restricting the flags list like we can already do with the translations list?
The one good thing about our current flag system is, it's very simple, fast and it takes very little resources. Let's not over-engineer when we add flexibility.

Cheers,
J-M

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
The set I linked to has an MIT license.

On 3/19/2017 11:46 PM, Torsten wrote:
> Hi Bernard,
>
> please consider LGP or MIT license!
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> On 19.03.2017 13:13, Gary Cunningham-Lee wrote:
>> I didn't look into the implementation details yet, but there's also an
>> SVG solution here: http://flag-icon-css.lip.is/
>>
>> So these are scalable, etc., similar to the icon font sets. (They can
>> also be displayed normally or round or with shadows, etc. since they're
>> styled with CSS. )
>>
>> -- Gary
>>
>> On 3/19/2017 9:00 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Tiki flags are used in trackers (country field), in language switch and
>>> more.
>>>
>>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>>>
>>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>>>
>>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage) of flags
>>> icon.
>>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>>>

>>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things like flags
>>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new set in
>>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).
>>>

>>> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Bernard Sfez-3
That would be awesome JM however it look to me like 2 different kind of work.

Flags implementation
Flags filtering on different dropdown (tracker, switch language, etc)
Filters to be decided:
* World
* Africa
* Asia
* Europe
* North America
* Oceania
* South America

On 20 Mar 2017, at 12:29 , Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:

They look nice and the license is good, but they only have country flags and we have more than country flags in Tiki.

We also have Europe, United_Nations_Organization, world, unknown, maybe others flags. I suppose these can be added easily.

Actually, having so many flags is a problem when we create a country selector. Maybe we could take this occasion and think of some method for restricting the flags list like we can already do with the translations list?
The one good thing about our current flag system is, it's very simple, fast and it takes very little resources. Let's not over-engineer when we add flexibility.

Cheers,
J-M

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
The set I linked to has an MIT license.

On 3/19/2017 11:46 PM, Torsten wrote:
> Hi Bernard,
>
> please consider LGP or MIT license!
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> On 19.03.2017 13:13, Gary Cunningham-Lee wrote:
>> I didn't look into the implementation details yet, but there's also an
>> SVG solution here: http://flag-icon-css.lip.is/
>>
>> So these are scalable, etc., similar to the icon font sets. (They can
>> also be displayed normally or round or with shadows, etc. since they're
>> styled with CSS. )
>>
>> -- Gary
>>
>> On 3/19/2017 9:00 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Tiki flags are used in trackers (country field), in language switch and
>>> more.
>>>
>>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>>>
>>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>>>
>>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage) of flags
>>> icon.
>>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>>>

>>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things like flags
>>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new set in
>>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).
>>>

>>> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Hi Gary,

Can you evaluate cost ?
As I said I’m ok to pay a few hours on this.

[...]

+1 to Jyhem and Bernard for a "filter flags option"

On 20.03.2017 11:44, Bernard Sfez wrote:
> [...]

>> also be displayed normally or round or with shadows, etc. since they're
>> styled with CSS. )
>>
>> -- Gary
>>
>> On 3/19/2017 9:00 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Tiki flags are used in trackers (country field), in language switch and
>>> more.
>>>
>>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>>>
>>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>>>
>>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage) of flags
>>> icon.
>>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>>>

>>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things like flags
>>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new set in
>>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

For context, this came up because of the rather retro look of Tiki's
current flags, probably because they are so small on today's
higher-resolution displays and because graphics generally are bigger
than they used to be.

I think the display flexibility of an SVG solution is appealing, but it
does come at a cost since the flag icons don't have a set size; this
would have to be specified for each display instance. It would work much
like the icons, it seems to me. And I don't know if there is much need
for flexibility if the flag images are always displayed as little icons

On 3/20/2017 7:29 PM, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:

> [...]
>     switch and
>     >>> more.
>     >>>
>     >>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>     >>>
>     >>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>     >>>
>     >>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage)
>     of flags
>     >>> icon.
>     >>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things
>     like flags
>     >>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new
>     set in
>     >>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>     >>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Gary Cunningham-Lee
Sorry, I sent a message that I had saved as a draft, without finishing
it. This is what I meant to send:

For context, I think this came up because of the retro look of Tiki's
current flags when used in the site header to choose a language. This is
probably because they are so small on today's higher-resolution displays
and because main site graphics generally are bigger than they used to
be. Also icons like this are often styled one way or another.

On the other hand, sometimes the flags need to be essentially text line
height, when used in selectors, etc.

So the display flexibility of an SVG solution is appealing, but it does
come at a cost since the display size would have to be specified for
each instance via CSS. It would work much like the font icons, I think.

I responded to Bernard that replacing the current image-based method for
an SVG method wouldn't be cost effective for me to do because I'd pretty
much have to learn the process as I did it. So if this does seem like a
good change to make, I'll leave it for someone else, if it needs to be
done quickly.

-- Gary

On 3/21/2017 2:46 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee wrote:

> [...]
>>     switch and
>>     >>> more.
>>     >>>
>>     >>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>>     >>>
>>     >>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>>     >>>
>>     >>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage)
>>     of flags
>>     >>> icon.
>>     >>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>>     >>>
>>     >>>
>>     >>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things
>>     like flags
>>     >>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new
>>     set in
>>     >>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>>     >>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Jean-Marc Libs
More historical data and research:

For the record, even the current small flags had their oddities. It seems like such a simple topic, since we are not even meant to redesign the flags :-D but in practice, we had to deal with the fact some flags stray away from our usual rectangular format (11:16 in Tiki), like the Swiss which is square (11:11 in Tiki).
In svg, this either means we style them as: "fixed height, centered, no background", or we just ignore the issue like they did in http://flag-icon-css.lip.is/?continent=Europe

I see we had it wrong before anyway since 11:16 (or3:4) is not really a standard either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aspect_ratios_of_national_flags

I suggest we ignore the issue at first, because only the most picky users would notice. Mostly international political bodies (Council of Europe), and even they only noticed the rectangular/square difference, not the precise real ratio thing.

Cheers,
J-M

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     switch and
>     >>> more.
>     >>>
>     >>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>     >>>
>     >>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>     >>>
>     >>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage)
>     of flags
>     >>> icon.
>     >>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things
>     like flags
>     >>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new
>     set in
>     >>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>     >>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Brendan Ferguson
I see the points about adding more complexity to tiki, and the issue about the flag size. Tiki however currently does not respect the flag sizes specified in the aspect ratios listed. It seems to me that this is a minor detail and could perhaps cause spacing-display issues.

The issues I see as most important:

* our current flags look somewhat outdated
* our flags look poor on now somewhat common high resolution screens
* as flags change and new ones are introduced, ours stay the same

Using this repository would solve all these issues. These issues would also be solved by including Emoji One. They have a flag set as well. They aren't as high-res as this flag repository, but look nice, are updated and available in svg.

The flag repo is 2mb, the emoji one svg repo is 2.2mb

Brendan

On Mar 21, 2017, at 6:31 AM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>     switch and
>     >>> more.
>     >>>
>     >>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>     >>>
>     >>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>     >>>
>     >>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage)
>     of flags
>     >>> icon.
>     >>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things
>     like flags
>     >>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new
>     set in
>     >>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>     >>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

luciash d' being

+1 to add the repo to composer

On 21.3.2017 14:54, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
> [...]

>     switch and
>     >>> more.
>     >>>
>     >>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>     >>>
>     >>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>     >>>
>     >>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage)
>     of flags
>     >>> icon.
>     >>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things
>     like flags
>     >>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new
>     set in
>     >>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>     >>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Jean-Marc Libs

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see the points about adding more complexity to tiki, and the issue about the flag size. Tiki however currently does not respect the flag sizes specified in the aspect ratios listed. It seems to me that this is a minor detail and could perhaps cause spacing-display issues.

+1 Minor detail. Just something to keep in mind.

The issues I see as most important:

* our current flags look somewhat outdated
+1

* our flags look poor on now somewhat common high resolution screens

+1

* as flags change and new ones are introduced, ours stay the same

Right now, we can add custom flags by dumping gifs in img/flags/. I've been asked to do it more than once.
Will we have some way of still doing this by adding svg files somewhere? Or some other way?

Using this repository would solve all these issues. These issues would also be solved by including Emoji One. They have a flag set as well. They aren't as high-res as this flag repository, but look nice, are updated and available in svg.

The flag repo is 2mb, the emoji one svg repo is 2.2mb

The emoji one round flags?  They look nice, but they don't look very flaggish to me, and I feel losing the corners will make them even harder to read when they need to be inline and same height as text.

Cheers,
J-M

> [...]

>     switch and
>     >>> more.
>     >>>
>     >>> BUT (like our smileys) Tiki flags look really 80s !
>     >>>
>     >>> They are really small, old rectangle fashion, etc.
>     >>>
>     >>> Will it be ok to change them for a modern version (free usage)
>     of flags
>     >>> icon.
>     >>> I googled a bit and round or square seem to be today’s trend.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Extending that and to have everyone super happy, about things
>     like flags
>     >>> or icons, it should be possible to customize them by adding new
>     set in
>     >>> the themes/mytheme folder.
>     >>> I see there is already a "icons" folder (?).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Tiki Flags

Brendan Ferguson

The emoji one round flags?  They look nice, but they don't look very flaggish to me, and I feel losing the corners will make them even harder to read when they need to be inline and same height as text.

Your right. Looks like my system had replaced the flag emoji with the system emoji. Im looking on a different computer now and see they are round. So -1 for me as well.