Quantcast

[Tiki-devel] The Logged not Logged syndrome

[Tiki-devel] The Logged not Logged syndrome

From time to time I found myself working on a page, post, article and I discover that I’m logged only when I submit (save, post, publish, etc).
The page instead of showing by work properly saved and displayed as I’m expecting show the login module (it may show different things depending on what is set to be shown when you don;t have permission to perform an action ?).
I’m usually not losing my work anymore, I log, go back reload and can submit BUT I don’t like it (at all) and I guess it enter some people in panic mode.

This is something I’d like very very much not see Tiki doing

Not always I see a warning about expiring session (lately I found out that if I click on preview several time it seems to omit the warning) and even with a proper warning I believe we can improve the way it work. (a popover to login displayed over the page while the page content with all the precious work stay put?)

Only me ?

Re: [Tiki-devel] The Logged not Logged syndrome

Xavier de Pedro (Tiki)

On 01/25/2017 08:33 AM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
> (...) and even with a proper warning I believe we can improve the way
> it work. (a popover to login displayed over the page while the page
> content with all the precious work stay put?)
>
> Only me ?
+1, very good idea!

Xavi

Re: [Tiki-devel] The Logged not Logged syndrome

Brendan Ferguson
I dont edit on x.tiki.org because of this. I copy the entire text to a local editor, make changes re-click edit and paste the text in.

I guess the settings are fine for short edits, but would much rather see a system that tracks if someone is in an edit, like instead of assigning a set period of time, it may have js send a ping every 5 or 10...? minutes to keep the session alive. If the person closes the page down, it wont send the ping and will log them out. It could also track mouse movements on the page, so if 5 minutes go by without a mouse movement, it just fails to send the ping.

Better yet, after the 5 minutes, instead of logging them out, it just opens up editing to everyone else. When a page is edited, a md5/timestamp can be sent with it. If the lockout period has passed, it would first request the md5/timestamp before making a save. One could even use ajax to query the server to check if a edit has been made, and alert the user who has a longstanding open session that a edit has been made and they have to start over.

Im sure there is other ways of handling this issue with a little more grace than it currently does too.

Brendan

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:
And if I’m complaining about this, as user, I hate when, my session having expired, I cancel wiki page Edit and Tiki show me "Permission denied" white the login module.

From the user point of view (different from the coder) this look very stupid.

Bernard

On 25 Jan 2017, at 09:33 , Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

From time to time I found myself working on a page, post, article and I discover that I’m logged only when I submit (save, post, publish, etc).
The page instead of showing by work properly saved and displayed as I’m expecting show the login module (it may show different things depending on what is set to be shown when you don;t have permission to perform an action ?).
I’m usually not losing my work anymore, I log, go back reload and can submit BUT I don’t like it (at all) and I guess it enter some people in panic mode.

This is something I’d like very very much not see Tiki doing

Not always I see a warning about expiring session (lately I found out that if I click on preview several time it seems to omit the warning) and even with a proper warning I believe we can improve the way it work. (a popover to login displayed over the page while the page content with all the precious work stay put?)

Only me ?

Re: [Tiki-devel] The Logged not Logged syndrome

Cloutier, Philippe (RESSOURCE EXTERNE)
On 2017-01-25 02:33, Bernard Sfez wrote:
Hello,

From time to time I found myself working on a page, post, article and I discover that I’m logged only when I submit (save, post, publish, etc).
The page instead of showing by work properly saved and displayed as I’m expecting show the login module (it may show different things depending on what is set to be shown when you don;t have permission to perform an action ?).
I’m usually not losing my work anymore, I log, go back reload and can submit BUT I don’t like it (at all) and I guess it enter some people in panic mode.

This is something I’d like very very much not see Tiki doing

Not always I see a warning about expiring session (lately I found out that if I click on preview several time it seems to omit the warning) and even with a proper warning I believe we can improve the way it work. (a popover to login displayed over the page while the page content with all the precious work stay put?)

Only me ?

Assuming you mean you discover that you are logged out, no, this is not only you. And no, you are not the only one who wishes this was solved :-(

Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] The Logged not Logged syndrome

I created a wish on the dev tracker: https://dev.tiki.org/item6281

Please improve and SUPPORT ! :D :D :D

Bernard