[Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

12

[Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Bernard Sfez-3
Mmm…

I check now and it says :

———
Upgrade Available

Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an upgrade to 16.2 is available.
———

What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit inappropriate.
Beside Admins or power users are not always the one that install the Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and what is a LTS.

1/ Upgrade check.

If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed (or at least not like this).
After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the last official Production Version for Tiki.

2/ Wording

"is still supported"… like you are running an old webapp but that’s ok ? :)

I would have preferred something softer and/or to encourage admins to update to the next major or in between version to ease update (better update often on major version than once in a while a jump over)

Bernard

On 24 Jan 2017, at 13:04 , Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware SVN repository <[hidden email]> wrote:

[REL] Updating release version for different check.

By yonixxx on 01/24/2017 11:04
View Changes

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Dr. Sassafras
I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword it to?

Brendan

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mmm…

I check now and it says :

———
[...]

Gary Cunningham-Lee
I think the "however" gives the impression that the site should be
upgraded. Maybe something like this would be more neutral:

Upgrade Available

Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

-- Gary

On 1/26/2017 5:49 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:

> I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword
> it to?
>
> Brendan
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Mmm…
>
>     I check now and it says :
>
>     ———
>     Upgrade Available
>
>     Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an upgrade to 16.2 is
>     available.
>     ———
>
>     What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit inappropriate.
>     Beside Admins or power users are not always the one that install the
>     Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and what is a LTS.
>
>     1/ Upgrade check.
>
>     If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed (or at least
>     not like this).
>     After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the last
>     official Production Version for Tiki.
>
>     2/ Wording
>
>     "is still supported"… like you are running an old webapp but that’s
>     ok ? :)
>
>     I would have preferred something softer and/or to encourage admins
>     to update to the next major or in between version to ease update
>     (better update often on major version than once in a while a jump over)
>

>     Bernard
>

>>     On 24 Jan 2017, at 13:04 , Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware SVN repository
>>     <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     [REL] Updating release version for different check.
>>
>>     By yonixxx on 01/24/2017 11:04
>>     *View Changes* <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/61044/>

>     Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Dr. Sassafras

Upgrade Available

Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

How about:

Your up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions">Long Term Support version</a>. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

I doubt if this check is able to tell if the person even CAN upgrade.... (Checks PHP Version, Maybe mysql version when we make that jump)

-- Gary

On 1/26/2017 5:49 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
> I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword
> it to?
>
> Brendan
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Mmm…
>
>     I check now and it says :
>
>     ———
>     Upgrade Available
>
>     Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an upgrade to 16.2 is
>     available.
>     ———
>
>     What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit inappropriate.
>     Beside Admins or power users are not always the one that install the
>     Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and what is a LTS.
>
>     1/ Upgrade check.
>
>     If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed (or at least
>     not like this).
>     After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the last
>     official Production Version for Tiki.
>
>     2/ Wording
>
>     "is still supported"… like you are running an old webapp but that’s
>     ok ? :)
>
>     I would have preferred something softer and/or to encourage admins
>     to update to the next major or in between version to ease update
>     (better update often on major version than once in a while a jump over)
>

>     Bernard
>

>>     On 24 Jan 2017, at 13:04 , Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware SVN repository
>>     <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     [REL] Updating release version for different check.
>>
>>     By yonixxx on 01/24/2017 11:04
>>     *View Changes* <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/61044/>

>     Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Bernard Sfez-3
Tuning ;)

Your Tiki is up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions">Long Term Support version</a>. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

Not a lot of changes but look much better.

If good I’ll commit.

On 26 Jan 2017, at 12:07 , Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Upgrade Available

Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

How about:

Your up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions">Long Term Support version</a>. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

I doubt if this check is able to tell if the person even CAN upgrade.... (Checks PHP Version, Maybe mysql version when we make that jump)

-- Gary

On 1/26/2017 5:49 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
> I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword
> it to?
>
> Brendan
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Mmm…
>
>     I check now and it says :
>
>     ———
>     Upgrade Available
>
>     Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an upgrade to 16.2 is
>     available.
>     ———
>
>     What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit inappropriate.
>     Beside Admins or power users are not always the one that install the
>     Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and what is a LTS.
>
>     1/ Upgrade check.
>
>     If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed (or at least
>     not like this).
>     After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the last
>     official Production Version for Tiki.
>
>     2/ Wording
>
>     "is still supported"… like you are running an old webapp but that’s
>     ok ? :)
>
>     I would have preferred something softer and/or to encourage admins
>     to update to the next major or in between version to ease update
>     (better update often on major version than once in a while a jump over)
>

>     Bernard
>

>>     On 24 Jan 2017, at 13:04 , Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware SVN repository
>>     <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     [REL] Updating release version for different check.
>>
>>     By yonixxx on 01/24/2017 11:04
>>     *View Changes* <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/61044/>

>     Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Dr. Sassafras
I like it but would also like to hear what Chealer has to say.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tuning ;)

Your Tiki is up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions">Long Term Support version</a>. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

Not a lot of changes but look much better.

If good I’ll commit.

On 26 Jan 2017, at 12:07 , Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Upgrade Available

Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

How about:

Your up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions">Long Term Support version</a>. An upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

I doubt if this check is able to tell if the person even CAN upgrade.... (Checks PHP Version, Maybe mysql version when we make that jump)

-- Gary

On 1/26/2017 5:49 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
> I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword
> it to?
>
> Brendan
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Mmm…
>
>     I check now and it says :
>
>     ———
>     Upgrade Available
>
>     Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an upgrade to 16.2 is
>     available.
>     ———
>
>     What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit inappropriate.
>     Beside Admins or power users are not always the one that install the
>     Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and what is a LTS.
>
>     1/ Upgrade check.
>
>     If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed (or at least
>     not like this).
>     After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the last
>     official Production Version for Tiki.
>
>     2/ Wording
>
>     "is still supported"… like you are running an old webapp but that’s
>     ok ? :)
>
>     I would have preferred something softer and/or to encourage admins
>     to update to the next major or in between version to ease update
>     (better update often on major version than once in a while a jump over)
>

>     Bernard
>

>>     On 24 Jan 2017, at 13:04 , Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware SVN repository
>>     <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     [REL] Updating release version for different check.
>>
>>     By yonixxx on 01/24/2017 11:04
>>     *View Changes* <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/61044/>

>     Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

A little more tuning, about capitalization:

Your Tiki is up to date.

or

Your Tiki Is Up to Date.

On 1/26/2017 7:23 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:

> [...]
>>     >     engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org <http://SlashDot.org>! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>>     >     _______________________________________________
>>     >     TikiWiki-devel mailing list
>>     >     [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>     >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>>     >

> Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <https://bsfez.com/>

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Caps are a little strange on this one. Any English Phd's here?

I think "Your Tiki is up to Date" is right, but could be corrected. The "Your Tiki is up to date." is correct for a sentence. But this is a heading.... or if its not, they should be brought down onto the same line. Not capping "to" while capping "up" seems odd. "Your Tiki Is Up To Date" is I guess another option.

How about:

Filipus Klutiero
On 2017-01-26 02:23, Bernard Sfez wrote:

> Mmm…
>
> I check now and it says :
>
> ———
> Upgrade Available
>
> Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an upgrade to 16.2 is available.
> ———
>
> What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit inappropriate.
> Beside Admins or power users are not always the one that install the Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and what is a LTS.
>
> 1/ Upgrade check.
>
> If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed (or at least not like this).
> After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the last official Production Version for Tiki.

FYI, "actuel" and "actual" are false friends. "actuel" is translated to "current".
I do not always consider the LTS as the latest production version.

[...]

--
Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Getting into quibble territory here, but "is", while short, is a verb,
so definitely needs to be capitalized. "Date" is an important word in
the sentence so should also be capitalized, if the style of
capitalization is for words in addition to the first one. Normally
prepositions aren't capitalized, so "to" stays small, and "up" is an
adverb, and these are generally capitalized in titles.

-- Gary (No PhD in English but a degree in education and certification
to teach in Hawaii and California, and a few decades in advertising
copywriting :-) .)

On 1/26/2017 8:45 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:

> [...]
>     >> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>     >
>     > Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <http://bsfez.com> <https://bsfez.com/>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>     > engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > TikiWiki-devel mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>     >

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

I think Gary has some English PhD level as he has been doing English translations/corrections for Japanese companies iirc ;)

luci

On 26.1.2017 12:45, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
> [...]

>>     >>     Sent from sourceforge.net
>>     <http://sourceforge.net/> <http://sourceforge.net
>>     <http://sourceforge.net/>> because you
>>     >>     indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/
>>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/>
>>     >>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/
>>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/>>
>>     >>
>>     >>     To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
>>     >>     https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/
>>     >>
>>     >
>>     >     Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com
>>     <http://bsfez.com/> <https://bsfez.com/>
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     >     Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most

[Tiki-devel] Clarifying phrasing of version check results for LTS releases (was Re: [REL] Updating release version for different check.)

Filipus Klutiero
On 2017-01-26 06:45, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
Caps are a little strange on this one. Any English Phd's here?

I think "Your Tiki is up to Date" is right, but could be corrected. The "Your Tiki is up to date." is correct for a sentence. But this is a heading.... or if its not, they should be brought down onto the same line. Not capping "to" while capping "up" seems odd. "Your Tiki Is Up To Date" is I guess another option.

How about:

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
A little more tuning, about capitalization:

Your Tiki is up to date.

or

Your Tiki Is Up to Date.

On 1/26/2017 7:23 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
> Tuning ;)
>
> Your Tiki is up to Date
>
> 15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions
> <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>">Long Term Support version</a>. An
> upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

I think describing the distinction between both versions will indeed be the easiest way to clarify. Unfortunately, we do not have a term to contrast LTS with. I think we could call 16 a "short term support" version quite accurately, though less marketingly. I don't expect us to do that, but I would actually support calling most versions "STS" as long as they have no more than ½ a year of support.

> Not a lot of changes but look much better.
>
> If good I’ll commit.

[...]
--
Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] Clarifying phrasing of version check results for LTS releases (was Re: [REL] Updating release version for different check.)

Gary Cunningham-Lee
It doesn't seem necessary to start using "STS" for the versions that
aren't "LTS" IMO. Presumably the site admins have some awareness of
Tiki's versioning and release cycles and don't need to get everything
spelled out in this notice. But if more info is needed, there could be a
"For more information" link to the explaining page.

-- Gary

On 1/26/2017 9:13 PM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

> On 2017-01-26 06:45, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
>> Caps are a little strange on this one. Any English Phd's here?
>>
>> I think "Your Tiki is up to Date" is right, but could be corrected.
>> The "Your Tiki is up to date." is correct for a sentence. But this is
>> a heading.... or if its not, they should be brought down onto the same
>> line. Not capping "to" while capping "up" seems odd. "Your Tiki Is Up
>> To Date" is I guess another option.
>>
>> 15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href="https://doc.tiki.org/Versions
>> <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>" target="_blank">long term support
>> version</a>. Anupgrade to <a href="https://doc.tiki.org/Tiki16"
>> target="_blank">16.2</a> is also available.
>>
>> How about:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee
>>
>>     A little more tuning, about capitalization:
>>
>>     Your Tiki is up to date.
>>
>>     or
>>
>>     Your Tiki Is Up to Date.
>>

>>     On 1/26/2017 7:23 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
>>     > Tuning ;)
>>     >
>>     > Your Tiki is up to Date
>>     >
>>     > 15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions
>>     <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>
>>     > <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>">Long Term Support version</a>. An
>>     > upgrade to 16.2 is also available.
>>

> I think describing the distinction between both versions will indeed be
> the easiest way to clarify. Unfortunately, we do not have a term to
> contrast LTS with. I think we could call 16 a "short term support"
> version quite accurately, though less marketingly. I don't expect us to
> do that, but I would actually support calling most versions "STS" as
> long as they have no more than ½ a year of support.
>
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > Not a lot of changes but look much better.
>>     >
>>     > If good I’ll commit.
>>     >
>>     > B
>>     >
>>     >
>>
> [...]
>
> --
> Filipus Klutiero
> http://www.philippecloutier.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Thanks!

Re: [Tiki-devel] [REL] Updating release version for different check.

Ok we are getting close I think.
I think we should add a simple missing info, the Tiki version. :)

Your Tiki version is 15.4LTS and it is Up to Date

———

Your Tiki version is 16.2 and it is Up to Date

———

Your Tiki version is 15.2 new versions are available.

Please check our download page and select

———

(Up to Date use the bootstrap success - green by default)

?

<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

   A little more tuning, about capitalization:

   Your Tiki is up to date.

   or

   Your Tiki Is Up to Date.

   On 1/26/2017 7:23 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
Tuning ;)

Your Tiki is up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>
<http://doc.tiki.org/versions>">Long Term Support version</a>. An
upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

Not a lot of changes but look much better.

If good I’ll commit.

On 26 Jan 2017, at 12:07 , Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>> wrote:

   Upgrade Available

   Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. An upgrade to 16.2 is also
   available.

How about:

*Your up to Date*

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>
<http://doc.tiki.org/versions>">Long Term Support version</a>. An
upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

I doubt if this check is able to tell if the person even CAN
upgrade.... (Checks PHP Version, Maybe mysql version when we make that
jump)

   -- Gary

   On 1/26/2017 5:49 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword
it to?

Brendan

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email] <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>>
<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

   <[hidden email]>>>> wrote:

[...]

+1 for not having another huge remarks box on the admin panels (that you have to train yourself to ignore). Personally i think what's there is fine (and it was changed several times a few releases ago).

There is a pref for "Upgrade Cycle" and you have to pick LTS specifically if you want it, so everyone should know what that means i think?

My 2 krone,

jonny

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 13:37, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It doesn't seem necessary to start using "STS" for the versions that
> aren't "LTS" IMO. Presumably the site admins have some awareness of
> Tiki's versioning and release cycles and don't need to get everything
> spelled out in this notice. But if more info is needed, there could be a
> "For more information" link to the explaining page.
>
> -- Gary
>
> On 1/26/2017 9:13 PM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>> On 2017-01-26 06:45, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
>>> Caps are a little strange on this one. Any English Phd's here?
>>>
>>> I think "Your Tiki is up to Date" is right, but could be corrected.
>>> The "Your Tiki is up to date." is correct for a sentence. But this is
>>> a heading.... or if its not, they should be brought down onto the same
>>> line. Not capping "to" while capping "up" seems odd. "Your Tiki Is Up
>>> To Date" is I guess another option.
>>>
>>> 15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href="https://doc.tiki.org/Versions
>>> <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>" target="_blank">long term support
>>> version</a>. Anupgrade to <a href="https://doc.tiki.org/Tiki16"
>>> target="_blank">16.2</a> is also available.
>>>
>>> How about:
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee
>>>
>>>    A little more tuning, about capitalization:
>>>
>>>    Your Tiki is up to date.
>>>
>>>    or
>>>
>>>    Your Tiki Is Up to Date.

>>>    <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>
>>>

>> I think describing the distinction between both versions will indeed be
>> the easiest way to clarify. Unfortunately, we do not have a term to
>> contrast LTS with. I think we could call 16 a "short term support"
>> version quite accurately, though less marketingly. I don't expect us to
>> do that, but I would actually support calling most versions "STS" as
>> long as they have no more than ½ a year of support.

>> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Filipus Klutiero
>> http://www.philippecloutier.com

Re: [Tiki-devel] Clarifying phrasing of version check results for LTS releases (was Re: [REL] Updating release version for different check.)

Bernard Sfez-3
Good point… Jonny

In fact why would we want a remark box when there is no need ?
Remark box on the admin panel should be displayed ONLY if there is a reason for it = your Tiki is not up to date. (no need to see the blue one)

Proposal:

If Tiki is 15.4 (last LTS) or Tiki 16.2 (last Stable) = no remark box

If Tiki is not up-to-date = remark box = go update (and here we can any text we want, the user should update !)

Bernard

PS: If we need to see the running version of the Tiki somewhere as soon as we enter the admin is another debate I think.

On 27 Jan 2017, at 11:54 , Jonny Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The only clarification that I would make is that it reminds people (perhaps only when a update exists on their installed branch) if a new LTS is available. It's posable to have 4 tiki LTS versions supported at the same time. I just wouldn't want the first reminder to upgrade from tiki 12 to be when tiki 21 is the new tiki. If they see when tiki 15 and 18 are available when security (or fix) updates are available, I think that's enough.

On 28 Jan 2017, at 03:19 , Dr. Sassafras <[hidden email]> wrote:

Proposal:

If Tiki is 15.4 (last LTS) or Tiki 16.2 (last Stable) = no remark box

If Tiki is not up-to-date = remark box = go update (and here we can any text we want, the user should update !)

The only clarification that I would make is that it reminds people (perhaps only when a update exists on their installed branch) if a new LTS is available. It's posable to have 4 tiki LTS versions supported at the same time. I just wouldn't want the first reminder to upgrade from tiki 12 to be when tiki 21 is the new tiki. If they see when tiki 15 and 18 are available when security (or fix) updates are available, I think that’s enough.

Heu… well I don’t agree with this.

And may be we should define what we really want here (thanks :))

IMO, we should encourage admin to upgrade to the last stable or last LTS version and not stays on old considered "safer" version.

We have actually a LOT of Tiki 12 working as "production" as they should be running Tiki 15.

It is bad for Tiki 12 : As a lot of backport have been made and it caused some issues and requiring we also maintain it above the security fixes (with our little resources)
It is bad for Tiki 15 : We have still regressions discovered after 4 versions (not enough eyes on it)

It is also bad for the community (releasing without enough testers, etc) and also unpleasant for a group of people doing "their job"; testing tiki last versions, reporting bugs and trying to fix issues.
We have now most of the Tiki.org website under constant svn upgrade because we need more eyes ! (if dog food is good, tiki.org shouldn’t be so exposed to breakage)

There is an idea that keep on running old version is safer and save from extra work.
I don’t agree with that.

Work, admin will have in all case and jumping from LTS to LTS after a few years doesn’t reduce it on the contrary.
As long as you keep old version running bigger will be the issue when upgrading.

If people want "safer" version they should test and participate to safer new version and not let task on the shoulder of a few volunteers.

Bernard

PS: Don’t you dare keep Tiki12 running when we release Tiki 21 !!!! :D :D :D :D :D

[...]

umm. did you read what I said? I want to encourage people to upgrade to the next LTS.... But what tiki currently has decided to support is 4 concurrent LTS's and that includes tiki 12 while tiki 21 is out. See https://tiki.org/Versions.

I agree with you though. I think its kinda crazy what kind of support tiki offers to older versions. I would be up for a reduction in the period of time that we support a version and also reducing the LTS release from every 3 releases to every 4. Making it 2 years between LTS releases. That way we would only ever support 1-2 LTS at the same time, instead of 3 or 4.

Zend LTS is a 3 year cycle, and they often only ever have one LTS at a time. Tiki LTS is a 5 year cycle. That means we need to upgrade a LTS once or twice to have zend in support, or continue to offer our own security solutions to past libraries. I would be up for reducing the LTS support period to 4 years. It would take a real load off us, and its more than reasonable to complete a major update within a 4 year period.

Reducing the number of releases may make tiki more secure and more stable, if it creates more time for us to focus on what it at hand. Backports are not always easy, especially when we have 3 different zend versions. (coming soon to tiki)

We have also made great strides in making tiki easier to upgrade, and easier to modify than it was when this initial release cycle was decided, so perhaps its time to re-evaluate this.

Im sure there is a long history im unaware of here. What do others think?

Brendan