[Tiki-devel] PluginPluginManager: link to the source code?

[Tiki-devel] PluginPluginManager: link to the source code?

Marc Laporte-3
Hi Lindon (mostly),

A developer (who was new to Tiki but had experience elsewhere) (Was it
Fabio at FOSDEM?) told me a great thing about Tiki (vs other apps he
had worked on) is how "easy" it is to make a plugin. Basically drop in
one file and there you go. It's not an exact comparison because some
of the "plugins" of other apps are more like Tiki features, which
involve more than one file. Wiki Plugins are nonetheless nice and
flexible while being pretty simple. And being bundled avoids
complexity and duplication which is well explained at
http://pluginproblems.com/

To get more people involved in the code, it would be good to make this
more visible / accessible.

I love https://doc.tiki.org/PluginPluginManager as it makes everything
so much more organized. And it adds an incentive to improve code and
labels in plugins.

Perhaps on doc.tiki.org, each instance of PluginManager could have a
link to relevant plugin at:
https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/lib/wiki-plugins/
Not sure to which version though. On one hand, linking to trunk is
best, but not-yet-developers-in-Tiki are usually not running trunk so
there should be a note to look in their branch.

On a related note, FYI:
https://profiles.tiki.org/Test_All_Plugins
https://profiles.tiki.org/Profile_Test_all_Plugins_Test_all_Plugins_page

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] PluginPluginManager: link to the source code?

lindon-4
Hi Marc,

So perhaps add a parameter to have the plugin title link to the code file. Perhaps by default it could link to the version of the tiki site and other versions could be specified. Is this what you had in mind?
Regards,
lindon

> On Apr 10, 2017, at 11:09 PM, Marc Laporte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Lindon (mostly),
>
> A developer (who was new to Tiki but had experience elsewhere) (Was it
> Fabio at FOSDEM?) told me a great thing about Tiki (vs other apps he
> had worked on) is how "easy" it is to make a plugin. Basically drop in
> one file and there you go. It's not an exact comparison because some
> of the "plugins" of other apps are more like Tiki features, which
> involve more than one file. Wiki Plugins are nonetheless nice and
> flexible while being pretty simple. And being bundled avoids
> complexity and duplication which is well explained at
> http://pluginproblems.com/
>
> To get more people involved in the code, it would be good to make this
> more visible / accessible.
>
> I love https://doc.tiki.org/PluginPluginManager as it makes everything
> so much more organized. And it adds an incentive to improve code and
> labels in plugins.
>
> Perhaps on doc.tiki.org, each instance of PluginManager could have a
> link to relevant plugin at:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/lib/wiki-plugins/
> Not sure to which version though. On one hand, linking to trunk is
> best, but not-yet-developers-in-Tiki are usually not running trunk so
> there should be a note to look in their branch.
>
> On a related note, FYI:
> https://profiles.tiki.org/Test_All_Plugins
> https://profiles.tiki.org/Profile_Test_all_Plugins_Test_all_Plugins_page
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Marc Laporte
>
> http://WikiSuite.org
> http://PluginProblems.com
> http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] PluginPluginManager: link to the source code?

Marc Laporte-3
Sounds good to me :-) Maybe with a little code icon so folks know they are going to the geeky stuff :-)

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech