[Tiki-devel] Philippe Cloutier's messages breaking threading? (was RE: My replies to HTML mails)

[Tiki-devel] Philippe Cloutier's messages breaking threading? (was RE: My replies to HTML mails)

Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant)
Hi Alexandr,

Thanks for clarifying.

Hum. I am not really an expert of email nor of Microsoft Outlook, but I know enough to be surprised by your claim. I just checked the headers of a random mail from myself which I received back from the list, and I see the following :

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 14:18:16 +0000

That would appear like plenty of information to ensure proper threading. A bug in Microsoft Outlook cannot be completely excluded, but I strongly suspect an issue with your client. Perhaps its threading algorithms are just not advanced enough to behave optimally in all cases (I would argue that failing to reconstruct a thread is not necessarily a bug).

> This "My replies to HTML mails" thread is already four different
> threads. That's why I say "chopping up".
>
> [...]

Re: [Tiki-devel] Philippe Cloutier's messages breaking threading? (was RE: My replies to HTML mails)

Alexander Mette-2
Hi Philippe,

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 14:33:06 +0000
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alexandr,

Indeed, I hadn't looked at the full headers, my fault. Still the
threads are broken up.

> That would appear like plenty of information to ensure proper
> threading. A bug in Microsoft Outlook cannot be completely excluded,
> but I strongly suspect an issue with your client. Perhaps its
> threading algorithms are just not advanced enough to behave optimally
> in all cases (I would argue that failing to reconstruct a thread is
> not necessarily a bug).

I actually realise now that my mail client is too smart and
figures that it should break threads up, when people change the
subject. Which is something you do frequently. I do see other properly
threaded e-mails from you. In those, the subject has stayed intact.
Before I thought that they were coming from your other e-mail client,
but the common denominator seems to be the subject change.

Sorry for the false alarm!

cheers
amette

https://amette.eu