Quantcast

[Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

I think one reason why Tiki's docs are so hard to use and maintain is
because there's so much information about old Tiki versions that haven't
been used or supported for years mixed in with current useful information.

There's really no point to have a section or tab on a page about "Tiki
7" or whatever (unless in some special case the info is useful for
historical purposes). The last page I edited at doc.t.o I just removed
the info for early versions and added a note, "(For information related
to older Tiki versions, please check the history of this page.)"

What do you think about this idea?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

luciash d' being
+1

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Jonny Bradley-4

same +1 :)

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Jean-Marc Libs
+1,
When it makes sense, you can even link to the history page version you have in mind, so it's all good.

Cheers,
J-M

Hi,

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Gary Cunningham-Lee
How far back should the information go, then? What Tiki versions do you
all think should be covered by the page, the currently supported
versions only? Or current plus one more back (like now including Tiki 12
as well as 15)?

-- Gary

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

luciash d' being
All supported period versions...

So yes, Tiki 12 included.

luci

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Jean-Marc Libs
+1

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Brendan Ferguson
Ya, that sounds good. All supported versions. That also makes it a lot easier to automate.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

I guess this is a work in progress, but the recent edit of
https://doc.tiki.org/General+Layout+Options for 17.x information doesn't
describe the General Layout Options tab of the Look & Feel admin page
very accurately, as there are options described here that aren't on that
tab of the L&F page. Can the automation be made aware of how the prefs
are separated under tabs?

Also there are links to other doc pages that don't have the expected
information ("Site theme option" links to doc.t.o/Themes, which has no
info about site theme options.) Is this where manual editing is needed?

-- Gary

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Brendan Ferguson

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
 there are options described here that aren't on that
tab of the L&F page.

I matched them all exactly. There was one named "Custom theme URL". That I could not find, but when I looked at the source code, ya, that option was there. So presumably it does show up under some circumstance.

Can the automation be made aware of how the prefs
are separated under tabs?

Im looking into it. I think it wont be an issue. I already know how I want to solve it.

Also there are links to other doc pages that don't have the expected
information ("Site theme option" links to doc.t.o/Themes, which has no
info about site theme options.) Is this where manual editing is needed?

All the link information was taken form the existing prefs in tiki 17. In the prefs there is a 'help' link that can be used to direct the user to more information on doc.tiki. If the link is not helpful, I would suggest removing or replacing it from the tiki code, instead of manual editing the generated documentation. That way there is only every one place where the documentation has to be kept up to date and people using tiki also get the benifits of that enhancement, not just people browsing doc.tiki.

Does that make sense?

I suppose another good thing that can come out of this is that it will be easier to see where the prefs in tiki need some work. We are already discovering that with one example the prefs have not been kept up to date.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Gary Cunningham-Lee
It looks like the problem is that
https://doc.tiki.org/General+Layout+Options describes the "Theme" tab of
the Look & Feel admin page (like
https://doc.tiki.org/tiki-admin.php?page=look#contentadmin_look-1), not
the "General layout options" tab.

A quick switch to a previous version tab on the doc page shows the
difference, basically.

So this new auto content for the 17.x tab of the doc page should be
moved to https://doc.tiki.org/Look+and+Feel+Theme . Doesn't that seem right?

Thanks for your explanations and work on this.

-- Gary

Re: [Tiki-devel] Old info at doc.tiki.org

Brendan Ferguson
oah ya. my mistake! lol. changing now :) of course we got to place the information in the right spot... duh. lol.

Brendan