Quantcast

[Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

12

[Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Brendan Ferguson
I got tired of hitting enter again and again. So now in trunk you can run "sh setup.sh -a", if you dont want to wear out your return key :)

I was also thinking of creating some kind of option to run "sh setup.sh -a", "php console.php d:u", and "console.php cache:clear”

The idea being that there might be a single command you can use after svn up. Im mostly thinking dev environments here.

Any preferences on where to place that? Im guessing that console.php is probably the right place for it… thoughts?

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi Brendan,

I think this looks rather similar to
sh doc/devtools/svnup.sh

I don't have much experience with doc/devtools/svnup.sh but unless I'm mistaken, it is only missing "console.php cache:clear" (why?)

Cheers,
Jyhem

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I got tired of hitting enter again and again. So now in trunk you can run "sh setup.sh -a", if you dont want to wear out your return key :)

I was also thinking of creating some kind of option to run "sh setup.sh -a", "php console.php d:u", and "console.php cache:clear”

The idea being that there might be a single command you can use after svn up. Im mostly thinking dev environments here.

Any preferences on where to place that? Im guessing that console.php is probably the right place for it… thoughts?

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Brendan Ferguson
Thanks for pointing out that file to me.

I see that it calls bash setup.sh -n fix

I discarded that as a possibility because there is command prompts. Its not all automatic. Im wondering now if its perhaps out of date and the -n command should be updated so that there is no prompts.

why clearing the cache? I was sure that it had fixed some errors a few times while updating tiki. File location moves, or something like that and the cached file still points to a different location. If I’m mistaken, it can certainly be left out.

Brendan

On Apr 6, 2017, at 6:21 PM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This is what I add for each Tiki:
https://dev.tiki.org/Automatic+Updates#Test_script
I put it at the root and I call update.sh and sometimes I put it on a
nightly cron job.

I didn't commit because I am worried of adding noise to the code base.
There is already doc/devtools/svnup.sh (which is missing features vs
update.sh) and there is also https://doc.tiki.org/TRIM#make_update
which has more features and can now be used locally, but it requires
an additional installation.

I believe all this should be merged into one master script that is
part of Tiki and well all use. I am not sure which is the best path
though...

Best regards,

M ;-)

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that file to me.

I see that it calls bash setup.sh -n fix

I discarded that as a possibility because there is command prompts. Its not all automatic. Im wondering now if its perhaps out of date and the -n command should be updated so that there is no prompts.

It's hard to change options behaviour after the fact because of all the people who use them in unattended scripts etc.
I think you can get the script you want with two runs:
bash setup.sh composer
bash setup.sh -n fix
php console.php d:u
php console.php cache:clear

That's very UNIX-philosophy: stringing small tools which do one thng and do it well

Or some new option called "no prompts" would also work, I guess. To me, it just seems more work and harder to write at first, then more and harder work when maintenance and bug fixing comes along later.

why clearing the cache? I was sure that it had fixed some errors a few times while updating tiki. File location moves, or something like that and the cached file still points to a different location. If I’m mistaken, it can certainly be left out.

Yes, we agree. I was suggesting adding
php console.php cache:clear
in doc/devtools/svnup.sh

Cheers,
Jyhem

[...]

So Ive got a script now that integrates the best of:

doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh

Its also got some enhancements, mostly user friendly stuff, like logging and verbiage.

Do we want the integrated into console.php or keep it in doc/devtools?

Brendan

On Apr 6, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Marc Laporte <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for tackling this. I will convert my servers to
use what you made instead of
https://dev.tiki.org/Automatic+Updates#Test_script

For the question "console.php or keep it in doc/devtools?"

Very good question. I'd love to hear Jonny's thoughts on this. I
suspect he will say doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh

* On one hand, upgrading a Tiki site is something a site admin should
be able to do, and not just for Tiki developers
* On the other hand, using console.php to upgrade Tiki (and
potentially upgrade itself) is like a surgeon operating on
his/herself. This is why TRIM is an external tool:
https://doc.tiki.org/TRIM

So perhaps best place is doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh

A full re-index is a good idea after any upgrade which could
theoretically make a tangible change in that area. However, since full
re-index can be quite long on some big sites, some folks may
appreciate a flag like sh doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh  --noindexrebuild
(or something like that)

Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 1:07 AM, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So Ive got a script now that integrates the best of:
>
> https://dev.tiki.org/Automatic+Updates#Test_script
>
> doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh
>
> Its also got some enhancements, mostly user friendly stuff, like logging and
> verbiage.
>
> Do we want the integrated into console.php or keep it in doc/devtools?
>
> Brendan
>

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Marc Laporte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is what I add for each Tiki:
> https://dev.tiki.org/Automatic+Updates#Test_script
> I put it at the root and I call update.sh and sometimes I put it on a
> nightly cron job.
>
> I didn't commit because I am worried of adding noise to the code base.
> There is already doc/devtools/svnup.sh (which is missing features vs
> update.sh) and there is also https://doc.tiki.org/TRIM#make_update
> which has more features and can now be used locally, but it requires
> an additional installation.
>
> I believe all this should be merged into one master script that is
> part of Tiki and well all use. I am not sure which is the best path
> though...
>
> Best regards,
>
> M ;-)
>

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> I got tired of hitting enter again and again. So now in trunk you can run
> "sh setup.sh -a", if you dont want to wear out your return key :)
>
> I was also thinking of creating some kind of option to run "sh setup.sh -a",
> "php console.php d:u", and "console.php cache:clear”
>
> The idea being that there might be a single command you can use after svn
> up. Im mostly thinking dev environments here.
>
> Any preferences on where to place that? Im guessing that console.php is
> probably the right place for it… thoughts?
>
> Brendan

> Marc Laporte
>
> http://WikiSuite.org
> http://PluginProblems.com
> http://Avan.Tech

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Marc Laporte-3
For the record, I would much prefer doc/devtools/svnupdate.php than
doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh so it just works on all platforms.

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Marc Laporte-3
Yes, indeed. Some stuff in setup.sh makes no sense to the average user and should be removed or at least hidden to an advanced mode.

One day...

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Marc Laporte <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;marc@marclaporte.com&#39;);" style="font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px" target="_blank">marc@...> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Brendan Ferguson <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;drsassafras@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">drsassafras@...>
wrote:

[...]

Just curious... on which platform you cannot run .sh where you can run
.php? I can run (ba)sh scripts on Windoze (with GitShell/PowerShell) and
Linux/Unix (implies MacOS?).

Thanks

luci

>>> http://PluginProblems.com
>>> http://Avan.Tech

>> --
>> Marc Laporte
>>
>> http://WikiSuite.org
>> http://PluginProblems.com
>> http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Brendan Ferguson
Im really no expert, but have found the following:

Its not so much that it cant be run, but that different systems handle things differently. Also varying degrees of which commands are installed by default on the systems. As long as they can run php, we know its all working, and working the same.

as an example, I’ve been trying to get the release process (.sh file) working on my OSX system. Ive been toying with it for a few hours now and been slowing correcting things, or adding fallback commands when the one requested is unavailable. You dont have to worry about that kind of stuff if its all done in php.

Brendan

wrote:

I got tired of hitting enter again and again. So now in trunk you can run
"sh setup.sh -a", if you dont want to wear out your return key :)

I was also thinking of creating some kind of option to run "sh setup.sh -a",
"php console.php d:u", and "console.php cache:clear”

The idea being that there might be a single command you can use after svn
up. Im mostly thinking dev environments here.

Any preferences on where to place that? Im guessing that console.php is
probably the right place for it… thoughts?

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

basic Shared Hosting

>>> http://PluginProblems.com
>>> http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

+1 for a php version with optional index:rebuild.

I think once a php file is "running" it's in RAM and changing the file on the disk wouldn't affect it until it runs again, but not 100% sure on that so maybe best to keep in the devtools for now (and imho that means it could go in 17.x as devtools isn't part of the release ;)

jb

> On 11 Apr 2017, at 10:47, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Im really no expert, but have found the following:
>
> Its not so much that it cant be run, but that different systems handle things differently. Also varying degrees of which commands are installed by default on the systems. As long as they can run php, we know its all working, and working the same.
>
> as an example, I’ve been trying to get the release process (.sh file) working on my OSX system. Ive been toying with it for a few hours now and been slowing correcting things, or adding fallback commands when the one requested is unavailable. You dont have to worry about that kind of stuff if its all done in php.
>
> Brendan
>

>> On Apr 11, 2017, at 5:29 AM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just curious... on which platform you cannot run .sh where you can run
>> .php? I can run (ba)sh scripts on Windoze (with GitShell/PowerShell) and
>> Linux/Unix (implies MacOS?).
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> luci
>>

>> On 04/11/2017 06:29 AM, Marc Laporte wrote:
>>> For the record, I would much prefer doc/devtools/svnupdate.php than
>>> doc/devtools/svnupdate.sh so it just works on all platforms.

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Bernard Sfez-3
Thanks for all this work !

Please update doc pages :

You can also present this at our next roundtable. :)

wrote:

I got tired of hitting enter again and again. So now in trunk you can run
"sh setup.sh -a", if you dont want to wear out your return key :)

I was also thinking of creating some kind of option to run "sh setup.sh -a",
"php console.php d:u", and "console.php cache:clear”

The idea being that there might be a single command you can use after svn
up. Im mostly thinking dev environments here.

Any preferences on where to place that? Im guessing that console.php is
probably the right place for it… thoughts?

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] New -a option for setup.sh

Hi Brendan,

I look forward to using your new script and deprecate
https://dev.tiki.org/Automatic+Updates#Test_script

This will save a lot of time of a lot of people.

For example, by clearing cache before an update, issues like this
would be better handled: https://dev.tiki.org/item6330  (although this
example if not ideal because it is a major upgrade, and not a simple
svn up in the same branch)

As for the name:
* doc/devtools/update.php ?
* doc/devtools/svnupdate.php ?