[Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

[Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

Arild Berg
In the configuration wizard, in step "Set up some advanced options", the Namespace feature is marked as experimental.

Namespaces have been a part of Tiki for a long time.
I have been using them quite a bit., and I am not aware of any problems with the feature.
Should Namespaces be considered non-experimental now?

It is marked experimental in all Tiki versions.
I have not seen any problems with namespaces in any of the Tike versions I have used.
If it should be marked non-experimental, should this also apply to all - also older - Tiki versions?

Arild

Re: [Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

Jonny Bradley-4
+1 (although i don't use them)

There are quite a few prefs that are still marked experimental but are in use a lot, so should we try and de-tag these for 17.0 if there's general agreement?

I reckon these should be de-tagged:

  • namespace_enabled
  • cookie_consent_feature (and all it's dependents)
  • feature_quick_object_perms
  • feature_webmail?
  • feature_use_fgal_for_user_files
  • feature_use_fgal_for_wiki_attachments?
  • feature_syntax_highlighter?
  • php_datetime (actually should be removed for 18.x i think)
  • site_layout_per_object?

...actually not so many really - but the rest (50+), apart from a few recent ones, should be either marked as deprecated or (better imho) removed post 18.x

jonny

On 3 Jul 2017, at 10:46, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Arild,

Agree with you :)

On 3 Jul 2017, at 08:55 , Arild Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

In the configuration wizard, in step "Set up some advanced options", the Namespace feature is marked as experimental.

Namespaces have been a part of Tiki for a long time.
I have been using them quite a bit., and I am not aware of any problems with the feature.
Should Namespaces be considered non-experimental now?

It is marked experimental in all Tiki versions.
I have not seen any problems with namespaces in any of the Tike versions I have used.
If it should be marked non-experimental, should this also apply to all - also older - Tiki versions?

Arild

Re: [Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

luciash d' being

+1, especially feature_use_fgal_for_user_files and I think it should be default - and the ancient option for User Files should be abandoned...

would be nice tho, if the browse button on files tracker field respected perms and showed only the user owned User Gallery (and its child galleries if any) to browse instead of all User Galleries...

luci

On 3.7.2017 12:15, Jonny Bradley wrote:
[...]

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi devs,

+1 for namespaces, as Arild tells us it's been tested and it works. I have no experience on them, but if it's used, we would have heard about issues.

-1 for feature_use_fgal_for_user_files because as you mentioned, it is not yet better than than the old User Files.
For instance, I wanted to set a site with a registration process which collects user pictures and résumés. The User Experience makes it impossible to use the file tracker field instead of the image field or the attachment fields. It just doesn't make sense to show all the file gallery contents when people just want to update their picture or their résumé. :-(

Cheers,
J-M

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jean-Marc

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 17:04, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> +1 for namespaces, as Arild tells us it's been tested and it works. I have no experience on them, but if it's used, we would have heard about issues.
>
> -1 for feature_use_fgal_for_user_files because as you mentioned, it is not yet better than than the old User Files.
> For instance, I wanted to set a site with a registration process which collects user pictures and résumés. The User Experience makes it impossible to use the file tracker field instead of the image field or the attachment fields. It just doesn't make sense to show all the file gallery contents when people just want to update their picture or their résumé. :-(

How is that related? This pref is for user files only... are you using a files plugin or something?

Either way, 2:1 so far for making it not experimental (you can still chose not to enable it, it just won't have an "experimental" warning icon on it)

jonny

> Cheers,
> J-M
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1, especially feature_use_fgal_for_user_files and I think it should be default - and the ancient option for User Files should be abandoned...
>>
>> would be nice tho, if the browse button on files tracker field respected perms and showed only the user owned User Gallery (and its child galleries if any) to browse instead of all User Galleries...
>>
>> luci
>>

>> On 3.7.2017 12:15, Jonny Bradley wrote:
>>> +1 (although i don't use them)
>>>
>>> There are quite a few prefs that are still marked experimental but are in use a lot, so should we try and de-tag these for 17.0 if there's general agreement?
>>>
>>> I reckon these should be de-tagged:
>>>
>>> • namespace_enabled
>>> • cookie_consent_feature (and all it's dependents)
>>> • feature_quick_object_perms
>>> • feature_webmail?
>>> • feature_use_fgal_for_user_files
>>> • feature_use_fgal_for_wiki_attachments?
>>> • feature_syntax_highlighter?
>>> • php_datetime (actually should be removed for 18.x i think)
>>> • site_layout_per_object?
>>>
>>> ...actually not so many really - but the rest (50+), apart from a few recent ones, should be either marked as deprecated or (better imho) removed post 18.x
>>>
>>> jonny

Re: [Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

Jean-Marc Libs
Ohh, sorry, my mistake.

Different features :-(

J-M

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Jonny Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jean-Marc

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 17:04, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> +1 for namespaces, as Arild tells us it's been tested and it works. I have no experience on them, but if it's used, we would have heard about issues.
>
> -1 for feature_use_fgal_for_user_files because as you mentioned, it is not yet better than than the old User Files.
> For instance, I wanted to set a site with a registration process which collects user pictures and résumés. The User Experience makes it impossible to use the file tracker field instead of the image field or the attachment fields. It just doesn't make sense to show all the file gallery contents when people just want to update their picture or their résumé. :-(

How is that related? This pref is for user files only... are you using a files plugin or something?

Either way, 2:1 so far for making it not experimental (you can still chose not to enable it, it just won't have an "experimental" warning icon on it)

jonny

> Cheers,
> J-M
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1, especially feature_use_fgal_for_user_files and I think it should be default - and the ancient option for User Files should be abandoned...
>>
>> would be nice tho, if the browse button on files tracker field respected perms and showed only the user owned User Gallery (and its child galleries if any) to browse instead of all User Galleries...
>>
>> luci
>>

>> On 3.7.2017 12:15, Jonny Bradley wrote:
>>> +1 (although i don't use them)
>>>
>>> There are quite a few prefs that are still marked experimental but are in use a lot, so should we try and de-tag these for 17.0 if there's general agreement?
>>>
>>> I reckon these should be de-tagged:
>>>
>>>     • namespace_enabled
>>>     • cookie_consent_feature (and all it's dependents)
>>>     • feature_quick_object_perms
>>>     • feature_webmail?
>>>     • feature_use_fgal_for_user_files
>>>     • feature_use_fgal_for_wiki_attachments?
>>>     • feature_syntax_highlighter?
>>>     • php_datetime (actually should be removed for 18.x i think)
>>>     • site_layout_per_object?
>>>
>>> ...actually not so many really - but the rest (50+), apart from a few recent ones, should be either marked as deprecated or (better imho) removed post 18.x
>>>
>>> jonny

Re: [Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

Arild Berg
Glad to hear there is a consensus about detagging the namespace feature as experimental.
Does this mean detagging all supported version from trunk back to 12?

Looks like the feature status needs updating, and I am sure Jonny's list makes sense.

Arild

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Jonny Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jean-Marc

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 17:04, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> +1 for namespaces, as Arild tells us it's been tested and it works. I have no experience on them, but if it's used, we would have heard about issues.
>
> -1 for feature_use_fgal_for_user_files because as you mentioned, it is not yet better than than the old User Files.
> For instance, I wanted to set a site with a registration process which collects user pictures and résumés. The User Experience makes it impossible to use the file tracker field instead of the image field or the attachment fields. It just doesn't make sense to show all the file gallery contents when people just want to update their picture or their résumé. :-(

How is that related? This pref is for user files only... are you using a files plugin or something?

Either way, 2:1 so far for making it not experimental (you can still chose not to enable it, it just won't have an "experimental" warning icon on it)

jonny

> Cheers,
> J-M
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1, especially feature_use_fgal_for_user_files and I think it should be default - and the ancient option for User Files should be abandoned...
>>
>> would be nice tho, if the browse button on files tracker field respected perms and showed only the user owned User Gallery (and its child galleries if any) to browse instead of all User Galleries...
>>
>> luci
>>

>> On 3.7.2017 12:15, Jonny Bradley wrote:
>>> +1 (although i don't use them)
>>>
>>> There are quite a few prefs that are still marked experimental but are in use a lot, so should we try and de-tag these for 17.0 if there's general agreement?
>>>
>>> I reckon these should be de-tagged:
>>>
>>>     • namespace_enabled
>>>     • cookie_consent_feature (and all it's dependents)
>>>     • feature_quick_object_perms
>>>     • feature_webmail?
>>>     • feature_use_fgal_for_user_files
>>>     • feature_use_fgal_for_wiki_attachments?
>>>     • feature_syntax_highlighter?
>>>     • php_datetime (actually should be removed for 18.x i think)
>>>     • site_layout_per_object?
>>>
>>> ...actually not so many really - but the rest (50+), apart from a few recent ones, should be either marked as deprecated or (better imho) removed post 18.x
>>>
>>> jonny

Re: [Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant)

Hi Arild,

Normally only future versions would be changed. The fact that a feature is now considered stable does not mean that it was stable in previous versions.

Normally commits to stable branches should only be corrective.

Philippe Cloutier
Développeur/configurateur Tiki

Service des systèmes d’information du Registre foncier

Direction des systèmes d’information

Direction générale adjointe des ressources informationnelles

Ministère de l'Énergie et des Ressources naturelles

Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs

Québec (Québec)  G1H 6R1

Téléphone : 418 627-6282, poste 2209

[hidden email]
mern.gouv.qc.ca

mffp.gouv.qc.ca

[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

bsfez.com

>>> ------------------
>>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org!

http://sdm.link/slashdot

Image supprimée par l'expéditeur.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Namespace feature still experimental?

Jean-Marc Libs
+1 for just 17.x and onwards, as Philippe said.

The out of experimentalness might even be mentioned in the release notes or Tiki17 page.

Cheers,
Jyhem

[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

bsfez.com

> [...]