[Tiki-devel] Download Size Doubled

Dr. Sassafras
I noticed that from tiki 16 -> 17  the download size went from 51.4mb to 105.8, that is just over double in size. (zipped size)

Note- all sizes given uncompressed from here on.

I took a look and fond that we added:

Ploty.js 54.6mb
player 32.3mb
Hp5 3.8mb
jquery tablesorter 2.6mb

Notes:

Within player, KyodaiNoGilga.flv, KyodaiNoGilga.ogg & lapin_cretin.mov make up 25mb. Since they are already compressed, it looks like they take up a total of half the total size of the tiki16 download. They are home videos of video games and a animated character being dumped into a toilet. I believe there is a area in composer where superfluous files can be removed, perhaps these could be candidates?

Question: is plot.js worth the real-estate? I dont know much about it. Just asking the question.

So those are all the major file changes. A few other additions but file sizes are fairly small.

These files were there before, but thought worth mentioning:
Openlayers 3 is 4.2mb (and were not using it)
DomPDF is 13.8mb

Re: [Tiki-devel] Download Size Doubled

Marc Laporte-3
This is what we need:
https://dev.tiki.org/Composer+Web+Installer

Work has started:
https://svn.code.sf.net/p/tikiwiki/code/branches/experimental/composer-web-install/

Plotly.js: It is awesome but I wonder why it's so big. Would be great to make smaller and deploy everywhere in Tiki (and replace current usage of external service)

videos should removed indeed

dompdf should be deprecated and all moved to mPDF, via Composer web installer

H5P offers over 20 features so it's worth its weight.

TableSorter is used all over, but optional.

On Thursday, May 18, 2017, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that from tiki 16 -> 17  the download size went from 51.4mb to 105.8, that is just over double in size. (zipped size)
> Note- all sizes given uncompressed from here on.
> I took a look and fond that we added:
> Ploty.js 54.6mb
> player 32.3mb
> Hp5 3.8mb
> jquery tablesorter 2.6mb
> Notes:
> Within player, KyodaiNoGilga.flv, KyodaiNoGilga.ogg & lapin_cretin.mov make up 25mb. Since they are already compressed, it looks like they take up a total of half the total size of the tiki16 download. They are home videos of video games and a animated character being dumped into a toilet. I believe there is a area in composer where superfluous files can be removed, perhaps these could be candidates?
> Question: is plot.js worth the real-estate? I dont know much about it. Just asking the question.
> So those are all the major file changes. A few other additions but file sizes are fairly small.
>
> These files were there before, but thought worth mentioning:
> Openlayers 3 is 4.2mb (and were not using it)
> DomPDF is 13.8mb
>
> Brendan

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] Download Size Doubled

As a follow-up:   As of now, from https://dev.tiki.org/Daily+Build
6.x: 33 Megs
9.x: 38 Megs
12.x: 78 Megs
15.x: 62 Megs
16.x: 87 Megs
17.x and trunk: 83 Megs

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Re: [Tiki-devel] Download Size Doubled

Dr. Sassafras
Nice; it's looking good.

The daily builds may not reflect what size the released packages will be:
Tiki 16.2 zip: 51.4 mb
Tiki 17.beta zip: 68.1 mb

But that's certainly better than the 105.8mb reported earlier!

I bet we could crunch those numbers down as well by offloading some of the less used vendor packages to install-on-demand, implementing the discussed changelog.txt modifications & removing the old PDF functionality in favour of mPDF. I might be able to squeeze s little bit more by applying some lossless compression to vendor images as well. I guess that's all tiki 18+ now.

Thanks for the update Marc.

Brendan

On Jun 30, 2017, at 12:15 AM, Marc Laporte <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://dev.tiki.org/Daily+Build
As a follow-up:   As of now, from
[...]

changelog.txt was done:
https://dev.tiki.org/Reduce+disk+space#Other

It happened during the commit message notification issue (black-out)
so many must have missed it.

Thanks!

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com