[Tiki-devel] Directory Cleanup & UserFile Directory

[Tiki-devel] Directory Cleanup & UserFile Directory

Dr. Sassafras
Im thinking we might do well with a /userfiles directory.

It could contain all the files that tiki might generate, that is specific to a particular install, or that a user would upload to the server (like in the case of batch upload).

Im thinking about this for a couple reasons.

1. Its easier to upgrade if you only need to copy one or two files
2. It cleans up the root directory
3. Its super clear that all the files in there are suppose to be managed by the user.
4. Provide a clear place for users to place their own files, instead of everyone inventing their own system.

Right now I see:

addons, dump, mods, vendor_custom & whelp that all essentially have nothing in them, all in the root directory. Im sure there is also some user managed files hidden somewhere in the structure of tiki as well.

Custom themes could say in the same spot, or perhaps eventually be migrated to userfiles/themes/... but it works where it is now and might be a big jump moving it again.

I think each /userfile/subdirectory could also do with a readme, briefly describing what the file is used for and pointing to some documentation.

So im not proposing any specific movement of any particular part of tiki, rather proposing an ideal. The practicality of moving these is perhaps another issue.

I guess the immediate question is: Do we want to move in this direction?

I also see the /doc folder is named quite poorly. I think devtools could be moved to the root, the files in it (version files) could be moved to lib. I could not figure out what the reports file is there for.

We have a /tests folder, with almost nothing in it, and a tiki_tests folder. At the very least they should be merged. Maybe some dead files here?

templates_c could probably be moved into temp, as could /modules/cache

lists - its not clear to me what this is... Although its only file: articles.php is used with a tiki option.
permissioncheck - It might be a pain in the butt moving. Parts of it appear to be unmaintained.

Thoughts?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Directory Cleanup & UserFile Directory

Filipus Klutiero
It would be good to write a page on that if there is not one already.

I would recommend against the name "userfiles". We already have
https://doc.tiki.org/User+Files
Perhaps "datafiles", though "files" in a directory name looks redundant.

> Im thinking we might do well with a /userfiles directory.
>
> It could contain all the files that tiki might generate, that is specific to
> a particular install, or that a user would upload to the server (like in the
> case of batch upload).
>
> Im thinking about this for a couple reasons.
>
> 1. Its easier to upgrade if you only need to copy one or two files
> 2. It cleans up the root directory
> 3. Its super clear that all the files in there are suppose to be managed by
> the user.
> 4. Provide a clear place for users to place their own files, instead of
> everyone inventing their own system.
>
> Right now I see:
>
> addons, dump, mods, vendor_custom & whelp that all essentially have nothing
> in them, all in the root directory. Im sure there is also some user managed
> files hidden somewhere in the structure of tiki as well.
>
> Custom themes could say in the same spot, or perhaps eventually be migrated
> to userfiles/themes/... but it works where it is now and might be a big jump
> moving it again.
>
> I think each /userfile/subdirectory could also do with a readme, briefly
> describing what the file is used for and pointing to some documentation.
>
> So im not proposing any specific movement of any particular part of tiki,
> rather proposing an ideal. The practicality of moving these is perhaps
> another issue.
>
> I guess the immediate question is: Do we want to move in this direction?
>
> I also see the /doc folder is named quite poorly. I think devtools could be
> moved to the root, the files in it (version files) could be moved to lib. I
> could not figure out what the reports file is there for.
>
> We have a /tests folder, with almost nothing in it, and a tiki_tests folder.
> At the very least they should be merged. Maybe some dead files here?
>
> templates_c could probably be moved into temp, as could /modules/cache
>
> lists - its not clear to me what this is... Although its only file:
> articles.php is used with a tiki option.
> permissioncheck - It might be a pain in the butt moving. Parts of it appear
> to be unmaintained.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Directory Cleanup & UserFile Directory

gezzzan

centralizing customizations in the /themes/ folder helped o lot for upgrades, but there is still room for improvement (as always)

It would be good to write a page on that if there is not one already.

I would recommend against the name "userfiles". We already have
https://doc.tiki.org/User+Files
Perhaps "datafiles", though "files" in a directory name looks redundant.

> Im thinking we might do well with a /userfiles directory.
>
> It could contain all the files that tiki might generate, that is specific to
> a particular install, or that a user would upload to the server (like in the
> case of batch upload).
>
> Im thinking about this for a couple reasons.
>
> 1. Its easier to upgrade if you only need to copy one or two files
> 2. It cleans up the root directory
> 3. Its super clear that all the files in there are suppose to be managed by
> the user.
> 4. Provide a clear place for users to place their own files, instead of
> everyone inventing their own system.
>
> Right now I see:
>
> addons, dump, mods, vendor_custom & whelp that all essentially have nothing
> in them, all in the root directory. Im sure there is also some user managed
> files hidden somewhere in the structure of tiki as well.
>
> Custom themes could say in the same spot, or perhaps eventually be migrated
> to userfiles/themes/... but it works where it is now and might be a big jump
> moving it again.
>
> I think each /userfile/subdirectory could also do with a readme, briefly
> describing what the file is used for and pointing to some documentation.
>
> So im not proposing any specific movement of any particular part of tiki,
> rather proposing an ideal. The practicality of moving these is perhaps
> another issue.
>
> I guess the immediate question is: Do we want to move in this direction?
>
> I also see the /doc folder is named quite poorly. I think devtools could be
> moved to the root, the files in it (version files) could be moved to lib. I
> could not figure out what the reports file is there for.
>
> We have a /tests folder, with almost nothing in it, and a tiki_tests folder.
> At the very least they should be merged. Maybe some dead files here?
>
> templates_c could probably be moved into temp, as could /modules/cache
>
> lists - its not clear to me what this is... Although its only file:
> articles.php is used with a tiki option.
> permissioncheck - It might be a pain in the butt moving. Parts of it appear
> to be unmaintained.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Directory Cleanup & UserFile Directory

luciash d' being

+1 to gezza's note

luci