[Tiki-devel] Developing several Tiki versions with PhpStorm

[Tiki-devel] Developing several Tiki versions with PhpStorm

How do PhpStorm users who develop several Tiki versions configure PhpStorm?

Is each Tiki version in its own project? If so, is each project in a different PhpStorm window?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Developing several Tiki versions with PhpStorm

Dr. Sassafras
That's how I do it. I just switch between the windows when I want to interact between different tiki versions. Keeps it all clean so I can look up at the top of the screen and see what branch I've got loaded. I often also have a version of trunk setup without any changes on it that I use for semi-auto merge and the release process.

I don't think it would work very well to have multiple tiki versions in one project, as PhpStorm autoloads dependancies, and that can be really useful when you want to see the code in some external library.

Brendan

On Jun 28, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

How do PhpStorm users who develop several Tiki versions configure PhpStorm?

Is each Tiki version in its own project? If so, is each project in a different PhpStorm window?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Developing several Tiki versions with PhpStorm

Jonny Bradley-4

I do pretty much the same, and try to only have a maximum of two tiki projects open otherwise Bad Things tend to happen (basically Java started to run out of everything ;)

The only little bit i'd add to that you need to set the svn locations up properly which takes a little bit of fiddling (at least it used to). You click on "configure branches" on the SVN working copies tab on the version control panel and add "https://svn.code.sf.net/p/tikiwiki/code/trunk" as trunk (obviously) and just "https://svn.code.sf.net/p/tikiwiki/code/branches" in the branches box, although you can add https://svn.code.sf.net/p/tikiwiki/code/users, trim etc if you want to).

Once you have done this you can do "compare with another branch", merge commits in a civilised manner and so on.

HTH

jonny

> On 28 Jun 2017, at 16:49, Dr. Sassafras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's how I do it. I just switch between the windows when I want to interact between different tiki versions. Keeps it all clean so I can look up at the top of the screen and see what branch I've got loaded. I often also have a version of trunk setup without any changes on it that I use for semi-auto merge and the release process.
>
> I don't think it would work very well to have multiple tiki versions in one project, as PhpStorm autoloads dependancies, and that can be really useful when you want to see the code in some external library.
>
> Brendan
>
> On Jun 28, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> How do PhpStorm users who develop several Tiki versions configure PhpStorm?
>> Is each Tiki version in its own project? If so, is each project in a different PhpStorm window?

Re: [Tiki-devel] Developing several Tiki versions with PhpStorm

Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant)
Thank you Brendan and Jonny.

I summarized your feedback in the PhpStorm page.

Jonny, I have had my 5 projects open simultaneously on a Windows 8 desktop with 8 GB of RAM for a  few days. Searches sometimes ask if they should abort due to resource usage, but otherwise I see no performance issues. I did not use PhpStorm a lot in that time, but Task Manager is reporting less than 700 MB of memory usage. Earlier I saw it use more but it was still under 1400 MB.

It uses a lot of memory. I've seen memory usage shoot up with very large projects and also when many projects are open.

Disk speed can also become an issue with many projects open, because of  caching, the cache files are also very large.

I personally create a 6gb RAM disk to house the cached files. (All my cached files, not just PhpStorm) That makes everything lightening fast.... of course you won't be able to do this with only 8gb of ram... at least ensuring the cached files are on a ssd instead of a hdd could help this a little.

It's a resource hog. I know there is some "power consumption" options in php storm, I bet those would probably reduce the strain, likely more CPU and disk, I doubt enabling them would reduce ram usage much.

I just build my system to fit the environment, (ramdisks, ssd drives, excessive ram)

I have run PhpStorm on resource limited computers (8gb ram, hdd) it just means I have to wait a little for phpStorm. It's not instantaneous, but for all the assistance it provides, the wait is still worth it.

Brendan