[Tiki-devel] Currency field First or all parameter default is disturbing

[Tiki-devel] Currency field First or all parameter default is disturbing

On a tracker, using the field type "currency" will display a currency symbol ($,€,₪, etc) before or after the value of the field.

However, when you list your tracker items only the first row will display the currency symbol and the other won’t.
This look terribly weird and like a bug, however I see this is set by default with the parameter "First or all" of the currency field type.

It should be changed in trunk to be unset by default so when you set the currency field all value show the currency symbol naturally.
It won’t change the field behavior of previous field that were created (upgrade compatibility) but will be the new default for new field created.

… I wonder what was the use case for this to be set that way and if there is any use for this parameter. :)

Re: [Tiki-devel] Currency field First or all parameter default is disturbing

Bernard Sfez-3
Oh and by the way, this parameter is applied in the tracker view list but not in other places like the plugin List.
So it is a kind of broken option for this field type.

If no one use or is able to imagine a scenario it may be used, may be it should be simply removed.

?

On 19 Mar 2017, at 21:41 , Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

On a tracker, using the field type "currency" will display a currency symbol ($,€,₪, etc) before or after the value of the field.

However, when you list your tracker items only the first row will display the currency symbol and the other won’t.
This look terribly weird and like a bug, however I see this is set by default with the parameter "First or all" of the currency field type.

It should be changed in trunk to be unset by default so when you set the currency field all value show the currency symbol naturally.
It won’t change the field behavior of previous field that were created (upgrade compatibility) but will be the new default for new field created.

… I wonder what was the use case for this to be set that way and if there is any use for this parameter. :)

Re: [Tiki-devel] Currency field First or all parameter default is disturbing

lindon-4
Hi Bernard,

In accounting, it is the norm to show the currency symbol only on the first number and the grand total, e.g., in financial statements or other accounting schedules.
Regards,
lindon

On Mar 19, 2017, at 3:45 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hey Lindon,

So in accounting it is ok to display:

Product1 : $100
Product2 : 50
Product3 : 300
Product4 : 25
Etc ?

I learned something today, thanks to you ! :)

This parameter is applied only (I may missed something) in the tracker list view which is not a financial statement (even if someone can use it like this) but a list of items with their value.

This parameter is not applied when using plugin trackerlist or plugin list (those I tested), so it can’t be used to build a financial statement (for exemple).

1/ As the parameter is not applied properly on all tracker output, I think it shouldn’t be set as default as it this very confusing. Other thoughts ?

2/ Should we keep this parameter (working only on tracker view list) and should it be fixed so the parameter is working on all output ?

Bernard

On 19 Mar 2017, at 22:17 , [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Maybe not in all countries.

For Germany this seems unusual.

We would rather have this:

Product1 : 100,--   EUR
Product2 : 50,--     EUR
Product3 : 300,20 EUR
Product4 : 25,--     EUR
etc.
Total:       : 575,20  EUR

or for ex:

Product1 : 100,00  €
Product2 : 50,20    €
etc.
Total:       : 575,20  €

Regards,
Torsten
On 19.03.2017 22:11, Bernard Sfez wrote:
[...]

In Germany they tend to place the currency symbol only at the top of the table, not even on the first number in the column (which is what they typically do in the US). You can see it in the financial statements of companies like Bayer, Deutsche Bank, Siemens, etc.
Regards,
lindon

On Mar 19, 2017, at 3:45 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Oh and by the way, this parameter is applied in the tracker view list but not in other places like the plugin List.
So it is a kind of broken option for this field type.

If no one use or is able to imagine a scenario it may be used, may be it should be simply removed.

?

On 19 Mar 2017, at 21:41 , Bernard Sfez <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

On a tracker, using the field type "currency" will display a currency symbol ($,€,₪, etc) before or after the value of the field.

However, when you list your tracker items only the first row will display the currency symbol and the other won’t.
This look terribly weird and like a bug, however I see this is set by default with the parameter "First or all" of the currency field type.

It should be changed in trunk to be unset by default so when you set the currency field all value show the currency symbol naturally.
It won’t change the field behavior of previous field that were created (upgrade compatibility) but will be the new default for new field created.

… I wonder what was the use case for this to be set that way and if there is any use for this parameter. :)

Re: [Tiki-devel] Currency field First or all parameter default is disturbing

Torsten Fabricius-4
Thx for the information.

I do not know financial statements of big companies, but refer more towards small companies invoices and such.
I just have never seen the way you described, bute every day the other one.

Anyway I am fine with all defaults you recomend, as long as we still have all necessary options for other use cases.

Best regards and thx,
-- T