[Tiki-devel] Clarifying phrasing of version check results for LTS releases (was Re: [REL] Updating release version for different check.)

[Tiki-devel] Clarifying phrasing of version check results for LTS releases (was Re: [REL] Updating release version for different check.)

Cloutier, Philippe (RESSOURCE EXTERNE)
Indeed, though the following would be better:
Your Tiki version (15.4 LTS) is Up to Date

On 2017-01-26 09:47, Bernard Sfez wrote:
Ok we are getting close I think.
I think we should add a simple missing info, the Tiki version. :)

Your Tiki version is 15.4LTS and it is Up to Date

———

Your Tiki version is 16.2 and it is Up to Date

———

Your Tiki version is 15.2 new versions are available.

Please check our download page and select

———

(Up to Date use the bootstrap success - green by default)

?

On 26 Jan 2017, at 14:07 , Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Getting into quibble territory here, but "is", while short, is a verb,
so definitely needs to be capitalized. "Date" is an important word in
the sentence so should also be capitalized, if the style of
capitalization is for words in addition to the first one. Normally
prepositions aren't capitalized, so "to" stays small, and "up" is an
adverb, and these are generally capitalized in titles.

-- Gary (No PhD in English but a degree in education and certification
to teach in Hawaii and California, and a few decades in advertising
copywriting :-) .)

On 1/26/2017 8:45 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
Caps are a little strange on this one. Any English Phd's here?

I think "Your Tiki is up to Date" is right, but could be corrected. The
"Your Tiki is up to date." is correct for a sentence. But this is a
heading.... or if its not, they should be brought down onto the same
line. Not capping "to" while capping "up" seems odd. "Your Tiki Is Up To
Date" is I guess another option.

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href="https://doc.tiki.org/Versions
<http://doc.tiki.org/versions>" target="_blank">long term support
version</a>. Anupgrade to <a href="https://doc.tiki.org/Tiki16"
target="_blank">16.2</a> is also available.

How about:

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Gary Cunningham-Lee
<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

   A little more tuning, about capitalization:

   Your Tiki is up to date.

   or

   Your Tiki Is Up to Date.

   On 1/26/2017 7:23 PM, Bernard Sfez wrote:
Tuning ;)

Your Tiki is up to Date

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>
<http://doc.tiki.org/versions>">Long Term Support version</a>. An
upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

Not a lot of changes but look much better.

If good I’ll commit.

On 26 Jan 2017, at 12:07 , Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>> wrote:

   Upgrade Available

   Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. An upgrade to 16.2 is also
   available.

How about:

*Your up to Date*

15.4 LTS is the most recent <a href=doc.tiki.org/versions <http://doc.tiki.org/versions>
<http://doc.tiki.org/versions>">Long Term Support version</a>. An
upgrade to 16.2 is also available.

I doubt if this check is able to tell if the person even CAN
upgrade.... (Checks PHP Version, Maybe mysql version when we make that
jump)

   -- Gary

   On 1/26/2017 5:49 PM, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
I agree what what you say in theory. Any proposals as to what to reword
it to?

Brendan

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Bernard Sfez <[hidden email] <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>>
<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
   <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>>> wrote:

   Mmm…

   I check now and it says :

   ———
   Upgrade Available

   Version 15.4 LTS is still supported. However, an
   upgrade to 16.2 is
   available.
   ———

   What it says is not wrong, however I feel it is a bit
   inappropriate.
   Beside Admins or power users are not always the one
   that install the
   Tiki or know exactly how we run our version cycle and
   what is a LTS.

   1/ Upgrade check.

   If running the actual LTS It should not be displayed
   (or at least
   not like this).
   After all the actual LTS is considered by most like the
   last
   official Production Version for Tiki.

   2/ Wording

   "is still supported"… like you are running an old
   webapp but that’s
   ok ? :)

   I would have preferred something softer and/or to
   encourage admins
   to update to the next major or in between version to
   ease update
   (better update often on major version than once in a
   while a jump over)

   Bernard

   On 24 Jan 2017, at 13:04 , Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware SVN
   repository
   <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>
   <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>>
   <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>
   <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>>>> wrote:

   [REL] Updating release version for different check.

   By yonixxx on 01/24/2017 11:04
   *View Changes*
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/61044/

   Sent from sourceforge.net <http://sourceforge.net>
   <http://sourceforge.net/> <http://sourceforge.net
   <http://sourceforge.net/>> because you
   indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/>
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/>>
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/>
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/
   <https://sourceforge.net/p/tikiwiki/code/>>>

   To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
   https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

   Bernard Sfez | bsfez.com <http://bsfez.com>
   <http://bsfez.com/> <https://bsfez.com/>

--