[Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

[Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Following a discussion at Changing (modernizing) Tiki smileys I intend to change the old Tiki gif smileys for modern one (till we integrate a better solution).

I’d like to know if there is any preferences before proceeding (taste and licence issue).

https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
They have a folder that contain 16x16 png and .svg (this is what we need) but:
I can’t find if it is possible to use the icon only Licence-Graphics and License
I’m not sure we can use and reuse in Tiki:
"As an open source project, attribution is critical from a legal, practical and motivational perspective in our opinion. The graphics are licensed under the CC-BY 4.0 which has a pretty good guide on best practices for attribution."

http://emojione.com/ (my favorite candidate)
I’m not sure we can use and reuse in Tiki. Here their Licencing Policy:
We don't need a link back for personal or non-commercial use but we do in other cases :
"Our emoji graphics are free to use for any project, commercial or personal, under a free culture Creative Commons License (CC-BY 4.0). Proper attribution (link back) is required for the rights to use our emoji in commercial projects. View our attribution guide for details."

https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2015/09/firefox-os-emoji/
Same, their License:
"Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits."

https://github.com/github/gemoji
I’m not sure we can use and reuse in Tiki:
Their vague license is about software. I’m not sure we can just take out the png we need (for now).

Re: [Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Bernard Sfez-3
lol

Wanna suggest something else ? :D

On 26 Jan 2017, at 13:28 , luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brendan Ferguson
emojione states: (http://emojione.com/licensing/)
  •   May Copy & Distribute
  •   Publish, Display, Communicate
  •   Modify & Adapt (derivatives ok)
  •   Distribute Our Work
  •   Commercial Usages
  •   Change License for Adaption

So if im reading this correctly we could adapt it (copy a section) Then re-license that section under anything we want...... am I not reading this correctly? What is the blocker here to integrating this into Tiki?

The limitations it states are as follows:

  •   May Not Use in Illegal Manner
  •   No warranties are given
  •   No endorsement from Emoji One
  •   May Not Use Emoji One Logo
  •   May Not Represent as Emoji One

Brendan

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:28 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think we should start support emoji symbol codes like this: 😛

http://fsymbols.com/emoji/

or if we really need another iconset included lets find some icon font - maybe something similar to fontawesome icons:

luci

On 26.1.2017 12:31, Bernard Sfez wrote:
[...]

But there is compatibility issues with multi-color fonts. Support is being driven by emoiji. Emoji is a font by definition. Using svg images or PNG's is the way to gain compatibility.

Still waiting to hear your thoughts on the licensing. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccby seems to say that licensing should not be an issue, if I read it correctly.

Brendan

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 9:47 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Lu,

Setting this may take a long time before someone able to do it step up.

I meant to change the old gif to better images in the meantime.

Bernard

On 26 Jan 2017, at 14:47 , luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Problem with the licensing is here I think:

http://emojione.com/licensing/#attribution

As Tiki is LGPL and can be used to create or be bundled within commercial projects / derivatives it would require us to put a link on every Tiki installed linking back to them as an attribution...

but wait, now I clicked the "Websites" option and it says "Link somewhere on the source web-site (minimum)", OK, then it sounds fair enough... We will just need to create a wiki page on tiki.org and put it there.

Sounds fair enough then, +1 for this emojione lib then...

luci

On 26.1.2017 14:34, Brendan Ferguson wrote:
[...]

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi Brendan, Luci,

I see I missed the conversation here before replying in another thread. In the other thread, I assumed this was about adding a lib in vendors through composer.

I really doubt we can relicence this library under the LGPL, even if we first licence it under CC-BY-4.0 (which we can). It seems to me, we can only distribute and then downstream recipients have to deal with licensing it if they want to exercise their LGPL-given right of redistributing Tiki, or a modified Tiki under the LGPL. If they just want to set up a website using Tiki, they are all good. But Open Source is about more than only using, it's also about modifying and redistributing.

Now that I thought of scrolling down http://emojione.com/licensing/ I see "Change License for Adaptions" but it does not really match anything in https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode

I see 2 interesting portions:
1. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Public License, the Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, irrevocable license to exercise the Licensed Rights in the Licensed Material to:
  1. reproduce and Share the Licensed Material, in whole or in part; and
  2. produce, reproduce, and Share Adapted Material.
and
5. Downstream recipients.
  1. Offer from the Licensor – Licensed Material. Every recipient of the Licensed Material automatically receives an offer from the Licensor to exercise the Licensed Rights under the terms and conditions of this Public License.
  2. No downstream restrictions. You may not offer or impose any additional or different terms or conditions on, or apply any Effective Technological Measures to, the Licensed Material
I think 5.A and 1. mean we don't sub-license. The downstream recipients get their own license. Except we got a mail from the copyright holder saying they don't need to.
Does "we offer it under the terms of the LGPL" fit B? I can't decide.

Then again, is not composer and the vendors directory our way of dealing with incompatible licences?

Cheers,
J-M

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:04 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jean-Marc,

On 29.1.2017 3:08, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
> Then again, is not composer and the vendors directory our way of
> dealing with incompatible licences?

I don't think so because it is distributed with our releases as part of
the Tiki package. If it was to deal with incompatible licenses it would
require everyone (I mean not just developers but end users too) to get
the vendor dir via composer on their own...

Re: [Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Jean-Marc Libs
Ahh, yes. How could I forget about the packaged releases (oops).
Maybe we could get them to dual license it as LGPL or a LGPL-compatible CC licence for Tiki in exchange of this link on our website? They do seem to have the right frame of mind.

No time for thinking up something more constructive but I'd hate to revive mods :-(

Cheers,
J-M

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jean-Marc,

On 29.1.2017 3:08, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
> Then again, is not composer and the vendors directory our way of
> dealing with incompatible licences?

I don't think so because it is distributed with our releases as part of
the Tiki package. If it was to deal with incompatible licenses it would
require everyone (I mean not just developers but end users too) to get
the vendor dir via composer on their own...

Re: [Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Brendan Ferguson
We need to relicence it. We've met the terms posted on their website, have checked that the licences are compatible, and have double checked everything by writing the owner and asking, of which they said that we are clear and fine.

Brendan

On Jan 29, 2017, at 10:20 PM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ahh, yes. How could I forget about the packaged releases (oops).
Maybe we could get them to dual license it as LGPL or a LGPL-compatible CC licence for Tiki in exchange of this link on our website? They do seem to have the right frame of mind.

No time for thinking up something more constructive but I'd hate to revive mods :-(

Cheers,
J-M

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jean-Marc,

On 29.1.2017 3:08, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
> Then again, is not composer and the vendors directory our way of
> dealing with incompatible licences?

I don't think so because it is distributed with our releases as part of
the Tiki package. If it was to deal with incompatible licenses it would
require everyone (I mean not just developers but end users too) to get
the vendor dir via composer on their own...

Re: [Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi Brendan,

Are you referring to them answering this message you posted? Is there another message where you mention Tiki and its contents is distributed under the LGPL?

On Thu, Jan 26 at 9:54 AM, Drsassafras wrote:

Hi, we are looking at using emoji one as part of a web CMS called Tiki (tiki.org)

We're looking at your licence and wondering what "Link somewhere on the source web-site (minimum)" means. You also state "Note: if displayed within a plug-in (such as 3rd party comments), attribution is only required on the plug-in’s official site."

We could provide a link to emoji one in a readme file, that goes out with every tiki distribution. We could also place a link on a page describing the emoji somewhere on doc.tiki.org or dev.tiki.org. But we can't gaurentee or even think likely that many of the people using Tiki will provide a link to emojione on there websites. They will of course be using the emoji.

We're not sure the plugin clause applies to us, as it would not be a plugin, it would become integrated with Tiki. Can you help to clarify some of these issues for us?

You did not mention Tiki is an open-source software distributed under the LGPL licence. This question was about using the emoji in Tiki, which they agreed on.
Sorry to nit-pick, but I'm afraid they may be unaware that we feel they agreed to let anyone download Tiki, modify their emoji (including removing any attribution) and redistribute the modified or unmodified emoji under the terms of the LGPL, possibly without any mention of them.
I'd really like to have them answer the question about what we really intend to do, which is not just "use". The question, as I see it, is on the lines of «can we relicence the emoji library under the terms of the LGPL in exchange for a mention and link to you on our website?»

Jyhem

I just re-read what i write. I meant we DONT need to relicense it. lol. That was some typo :0 The licenses are compatible according to: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

No time for thinking up something more constructive but I'd hate to revive mods :-(

Cheers,
J-M

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM, luciash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jean-Marc,

On 29.1.2017 3:08, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
> Then again, is not composer and the vendors directory our way of
> dealing with incompatible licences?

I don't think so because it is distributed with our releases as part of
the Tiki package. If it was to deal with incompatible licenses it would
require everyone (I mean not just developers but end users too) to get
the vendor dir via composer on their own...

Re: [Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Jonny Bradley-4

Hi all

So, i'm a bit confused - is this supposed to be in 16.x? Because i seem to see the old ones, and the same in trunk - B, did you revert it all?

I was also going to say that renaming the files probably goes against the license anyway and, as we found with the old silk icons, makes adding new ones and keeping up to date really tricky. It would be better to change the function in the parser to use the files as they are originally named in the lib imho.

But as i said, i can't seem to find them now and am generally confused... ;)

jonny

> On 30 Jan 2017, at 04:46, Brendan Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just re-read what i write. I meant we DONT need to relicense it. lol. That was some typo :0 The licenses are compatible according to: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Jean-Marc Libs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Brendan,
>>
>> Are you referring to them answering this message you posted? Is there another message where you mention Tiki and its contents is distributed under the LGPL?

>> On Thu, Jan 26 at 9:54 AM, Drsassafras wrote:
>> Hi, we are looking at using emoji one as part of a web CMS called Tiki (tiki.org)
>>
>> We're looking at your licence and wondering what "Link somewhere on the source web-site (minimum)" means. You also state "Note: if displayed within a plug-in (such as 3rd party comments), attribution is only required on the plug-in’s official site."
>>
>> We could provide a link to emoji one in a readme file, that goes out with every tiki distribution. We could also place a link on a page describing the emoji somewhere on doc.tiki.org or dev.tiki.org. But we can't gaurentee or even think likely that many of the people using Tiki will provide a link to emojione on there websites. They will of course be using the emoji.
>>
>> We're not sure the plugin clause applies to us, as it would not be a plugin, it would become integrated with Tiki. Can you help to clarify some of these issues for us?

>> You did not mention Tiki is an open-source software distributed under the LGPL licence. This question was about using the emoji in Tiki, which they agreed on.
>> Sorry to nit-pick, but I'm afraid they may be unaware that we feel they agreed to let anyone download Tiki, modify their emoji (including removing any attribution) and redistribute the modified or unmodified emoji under the terms of the LGPL, possibly without any mention of them.
>> I'd really like to have them answer the question about what we really intend to do, which is not just "use". The question, as I see it, is on the lines of «can we relicence the emoji library under the terms of the LGPL in exchange for a mention and link to you on our website?»
>>
>> Jyhem
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Dr. Sassafras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We need to relicence it. We've met the terms posted on their website, have checked that the licences are compatible, and have double checked everything by writing the owner and asking, of which they said that we are clear and fine.
>>>
>>> Brendan

Re: [Tiki-devel] Changing Tiki old style smileys for emojis

Bernard Sfez-3
Hi Jonny,

I thought it was ok to do this that way (changing picture) and using the emojione icons (the licence was ok - just a link back and the author confirmed).

But it too many people raised concerns and thought otherwise so I reverted it all.

We will stay with those ugly smileys till someone find time to set something else. :p

Bernard

On 30 Jan 2017, at 16:54 , Jonny Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think the changes should have stayed. It dosent matter how many waves people make. Changes should only be made if someone can demonstrate a issue. Suggestions that a issue might be there mean nothing for decision making....imho

But it seems as though im a minority on this particular point.

Brendan