[Tiki-devel] Behavior of cookie consent and website translation

[Tiki-devel] Behavior of cookie consent and website translation

Joël Obrecht

Dear all,

I have been reported many problems by users with strong cookie policy (a great deal of my users come from institutions, that force cookies to be dumped whenever they close their browser / daily / etc). Several need to validate cookies twice or thrice daily, others don't even see the option to validate.

I had other (angry) reports from people that have validated cookie consent but weren't able to change the language nonetheless...

Anyway, I'm about to tweak the cookie consent code, in order to have a reverse behavior: per default cookies are allowed with an OK button for the show, with an option to entirely block the cookies for people that don't like them.

Any advice about this? I have tiki12, so I don't know if I can contribute this code to tiki repository. Or if there is something backportable to tiki12... If I get it working I'll post it here in this mail already. I have a sourceforge account as well if there are other contribution options available :)

Another point... For users to properly understand it, styling is key. So I will make a separate stylesheet and load it in the tpl (I already tweaked the tpl because there was no translation option??? in t12). If this is OK in t12 is it still advisable with later bootstrap-enabled versions?

See you all.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Behavior of cookie consent and website translation

Jonny Bradley-4
Hi Joel

If you have the cookie consent feature enabled (which is legally required by the EU for suits in Europe) but if you remove the "Cookie consent question" then they just need to click the "continue" button to use the site instead of a checkbox as well - maybe that would do?

If you change the feature to work as "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" i believe it will not conform to the (rather stupidly framed) EU law.

For me if i ignore the consent banner i can still switch language or theme ok and no cookies get set apart from the php session ones (which i believe are allowed either way as they are needed for the site to function and be secure).

If you do need to change or enhance how this works that would need to be done in trunk (or 16.x after 16.0 release) and then backported to 12.x, so maybe a local patch for you would be better for now.

Be careful when changing this code as it's quite fragile and has taken a long time for it to work as well as it does, especially to cover people with javascript disabled as well - we ended up with quite a lot of broken tikis while working this out (and hopefully it is ok now?)

Good luck! :)

jonny

> On 8 Nov 2016, at 14:40, Joël Obrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I have been reported many problems by users with strong cookie policy (a great deal of my users come from institutions, that force cookies to be dumped whenever they close their browser / daily / etc). Several need to validate cookies twice or thrice daily, others don't even see the option to validate.
>
> I had other (angry) reports from people that have validated cookie consent but weren't able to change the language nonetheless...
>
> Anyway, I'm about to tweak the cookie consent code, in order to have a reverse behavior: per default cookies are allowed with an OK button for the show, with an option to entirely block the cookies for people that don't like them.
>
> Any advice about this? I have tiki12, so I don't know if I can contribute this code to tiki repository. Or if there is something backportable to tiki12... If I get it working I'll post it here in this mail already. I have a sourceforge account as well if there are other contribution options available :)
>
> Another point... For users to properly understand it, styling is key. So I will make a separate stylesheet and load it in the tpl (I already tweaked the tpl because there was no translation option??? in t12). If this is OK in t12 is it still advisable with later bootstrap-enabled versions?
>
> See you all.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Behavior of cookie consent and website translation

Joël Obrecht
Dear all,

Finally I've kept it this way but just made the checkbox checked by default. This could be a useful option to add in the cookie consent prefs.

In cookie_consent.tpl :

Images intégrées 1

Gives:

Images intégrées 2

Have a nice day

Joël

Hi Joel

If you have the cookie consent feature enabled (which is legally required by the EU for suits in Europe) but if you remove the "Cookie consent question" then they just need to click the "continue" button to use the site instead of a checkbox as well - maybe that would do?

If you change the feature to work as "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" i believe it will not conform to the (rather stupidly framed) EU law.

For me if i ignore the consent banner i can still switch language or theme ok and no cookies get set apart from the php session ones (which i believe are allowed either way as they are needed for the site to function and be secure).

If you do need to change or enhance how this works that would need to be done in trunk (or 16.x after 16.0 release) and then backported to 12.x, so maybe a local patch for you would be better for now.

Be careful when changing this code as it's quite fragile and has taken a long time for it to work as well as it does, especially to cover people with javascript disabled as well - we ended up with quite a lot of broken tikis while working this out (and hopefully it is ok now?)

Good luck! :)

jonny

> On 8 Nov 2016, at 14:40, Joël Obrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I have been reported many problems by users with strong cookie policy (a great deal of my users come from institutions, that force cookies to be dumped whenever they close their browser / daily / etc). Several need to validate cookies twice or thrice daily, others don't even see the option to validate.
>
> I had other (angry) reports from people that have validated cookie consent but weren't able to change the language nonetheless...
>
> Anyway, I'm about to tweak the cookie consent code, in order to have a reverse behavior: per default cookies are allowed with an OK button for the show, with an option to entirely block the cookies for people that don't like them.
>
> Any advice about this? I have tiki12, so I don't know if I can contribute this code to tiki repository. Or if there is something backportable to tiki12... If I get it working I'll post it here in this mail already. I have a sourceforge account as well if there are other contribution options available :)
>
> Another point... For users to properly understand it, styling is key. So I will make a separate stylesheet and load it in the tpl (I already tweaked the tpl because there was no translation option??? in t12). If this is OK in t12 is it still advisable with later bootstrap-enabled versions?
>
> See you all.

Re: [Tiki-devel] Behavior of cookie consent and website translation

Jonny Bradley-4
Hi Joel

If you don't want the checkbox you can already just clear the pref cookie_consent_question ("Cookie consent question") so you only get the button and it assumes consent.

Doesn't that do about the same?

I have a feeling that the law says that if there ids a checkbox the user actively has to check it to confirm their consent (if not their understanding ;)

jonny

> On 7 Apr 2017, at 10:18, Joël Obrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Finally I've kept it this way but just made the checkbox checked by default. This could be a useful option to add in the cookie consent prefs.
>
> In cookie_consent.tpl :
>
> <image.png>
>
> Gives:
>
> <image.png>
>
> Have a nice day
>
> Joël

>> Hi Joel
>>
>> If you have the cookie consent feature enabled (which is legally required by the EU for suits in Europe) but if you remove the "Cookie consent question" then they just need to click the "continue" button to use the site instead of a checkbox as well - maybe that would do?
>>
>> If you change the feature to work as "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" i believe it will not conform to the (rather stupidly framed) EU law.
>>
>> For me if i ignore the consent banner i can still switch language or theme ok and no cookies get set apart from the php session ones (which i believe are allowed either way as they are needed for the site to function and be secure).
>>
>> If you do need to change or enhance how this works that would need to be done in trunk (or 16.x after 16.0 release) and then backported to 12.x, so maybe a local patch for you would be better for now.
>>
>> Be careful when changing this code as it's quite fragile and has taken a long time for it to work as well as it does, especially to cover people with javascript disabled as well - we ended up with quite a lot of broken tikis while working this out (and hopefully it is ok now?)
>>
>> Good luck! :)
>>
>> jonny

Re: [Tiki-devel] Behavior of cookie consent and website translation

Joël Obrecht
Thanks for your answer Johnny.

Sorry I'm late but here is an update on our situation and what we've done so far.

Whatever option I choose from cookie consent preferences in tiki12, the behaviour is still the same : cookies are blocked. This is a problem for us because the site does not translate until thee cookie consent has been set. I think it worked at some point but there might have been a regression ??? (tiki12, some customizations but nothing done so far in cookie system). Anyway, it is quite a critical problem for us because:
1 - The European commission visits regularly our website and funds us
2 - We have people who do not understand French (default language) and therefore we need the website to be shown in different languages from the beginning without the need to allow cookies.

I have found somehow a workaround with the option "Detect browser languages" : I tested it with different Firefox profiles using different languages (English, French, Portuguese) and ... it works.

For me an opt-out option would be a better one but I'll better keep this when we will update to the latest LTS.