[Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

[Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Torsten Fabricius-4
Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,

in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
to use for editors etc.

A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
to bring that to production.

I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.

The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
a simple button.

Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?

Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.

Thx and Greetz,
Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Just answering the easy part first - the theme I did for zukathemes.com
has a sliding off-canvas menu, but I "cheated" by modifying a layout
template to place the off-canvas div outside of a div that wraps the
rest of the page. I didn't really finish up this theme enough to release
it; it works fine for the site but really should use Tiki's elements
more, and not so much of the original theme source elements, to be
released as a Tiki theme.

I think JavaScript can be used to relocate one of Tiki's modules divs
(or a custom modules div) in the DOM to enable this configuration
without modifying a layout template. Or maybe this JS relocation isn't
needed if some other sliding sidebar method is used.

I looked at quite a few sliding menus, etc. when checking out ideas for
themes, but need to look at my notes again for the details.

-- Gary

On 4/4/2017 11:21 PM, Torsten wrote:

> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>
> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
> to use for editors etc.
>
> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
> to bring that to production.
>
> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>
> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
> a simple button.
>
> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>
> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>
> Thx and Greetz,
> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Jonny Bradley-4

I have been intending to add a new option of the left and right module visibility options to do that... never quite got to the top of the list ;)

Maybe one for 17.1?

jb

> On 4 Apr 2017, at 16:37, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Just answering the easy part first - the theme I did for zukathemes.com
> has a sliding off-canvas menu, but I "cheated" by modifying a layout
> template to place the off-canvas div outside of a div that wraps the
> rest of the page. I didn't really finish up this theme enough to release
> it; it works fine for the site but really should use Tiki's elements
> more, and not so much of the original theme source elements, to be
> released as a Tiki theme.
>
> I think JavaScript can be used to relocate one of Tiki's modules divs
> (or a custom modules div) in the DOM to enable this configuration
> without modifying a layout template. Or maybe this JS relocation isn't
> needed if some other sliding sidebar method is used.
>
> I looked at quite a few sliding menus, etc. when checking out ideas for
> themes, but need to look at my notes again for the details.
>
> -- Gary
>

> On 4/4/2017 11:21 PM, Torsten wrote:
>> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>>
>> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
>> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
>> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
>> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
>> to use for editors etc.
>>
>> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
>> to bring that to production.
>>
>> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
>> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
>> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>>
>> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
>> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
>> a simple button.
>>
>> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
>> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>>
>> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>>
>> Thx and Greetz,
>> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Thx Gary!

Any option that you give me the relevant files/templates? I need it for
two non-profit organisations and would be fine with a temporary
workaround like described and maybe I will find a way to improve during
the year (summer) - but noted, that I am not a JS or PHP coder.

Best regards,
Torsten

On 04.04.2017 17:37, Gary Cunningham-Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just answering the easy part first - the theme I did for zukathemes.com
> has a sliding off-canvas menu, but I "cheated" by modifying a layout
> template to place the off-canvas div outside of a div that wraps the
> rest of the page. I didn't really finish up this theme enough to release
> it; it works fine for the site but really should use Tiki's elements
> more, and not so much of the original theme source elements, to be
> released as a Tiki theme.
>
> I think JavaScript can be used to relocate one of Tiki's modules divs
> (or a custom modules div) in the DOM to enable this configuration
> without modifying a layout template. Or maybe this JS relocation isn't
> needed if some other sliding sidebar method is used.
>
> I looked at quite a few sliding menus, etc. when checking out ideas for
> themes, but need to look at my notes again for the details.
>
> -- Gary
>

> On 4/4/2017 11:21 PM, Torsten wrote:
>> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>>
>> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
>> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
>> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
>> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
>> to use for editors etc.
>>
>> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
>> to bring that to production.
>>
>> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
>> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
>> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>>
>> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
>> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
>> a simple button.
>>
>> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
>> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>>
>> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>>
>> Thx and Greetz,
>> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Would be awesome Jonny,

whilst I would prefer an extra sidebar, cause there might be cases,
where people use the #col2 or #col3 for public (fixed) stuff. The
sidebar should offer additional options.

Thx for having joined the 'sidebar league' :D

Best regards,
Torsten

On 04.04.2017 17:48, Jonny Bradley wrote:

> I have been intending to add a new option of the left and right module visibility options to do that... never quite got to the top of the list ;)
>
> Maybe one for 17.1?
>
> jb
>

>> On 4 Apr 2017, at 16:37, Gary Cunningham-Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just answering the easy part first - the theme I did for zukathemes.com
>> has a sliding off-canvas menu, but I "cheated" by modifying a layout
>> template to place the off-canvas div outside of a div that wraps the
>> rest of the page. I didn't really finish up this theme enough to release
>> it; it works fine for the site but really should use Tiki's elements
>> more, and not so much of the original theme source elements, to be
>> released as a Tiki theme.
>>
>> I think JavaScript can be used to relocate one of Tiki's modules divs
>> (or a custom modules div) in the DOM to enable this configuration
>> without modifying a layout template. Or maybe this JS relocation isn't
>> needed if some other sliding sidebar method is used.
>>
>> I looked at quite a few sliding menus, etc. when checking out ideas for
>> themes, but need to look at my notes again for the details.
>>
>> -- Gary
>>

>> On 4/4/2017 11:21 PM, Torsten wrote:
>>> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>>>
>>> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
>>> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
>>> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
>>> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
>>> to use for editors etc.
>>>
>>> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
>>> to bring that to production.
>>>
>>> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
>>> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
>>> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>>>
>>> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
>>> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
>>> a simple button.
>>>
>>> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
>>> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>>>
>>> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>>>
>>> Thx and Greetz,
>>> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Hi Torsten,

I think you could place custom sidebar in the "Layout Shadows" feature
textareas when enabled.

luci

On 04/04/2017 04:21 PM, Torsten wrote:

> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>
> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
> to use for editors etc.
>
> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
> to bring that to production.
>
> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>
> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
> a simple button.
>
> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>
> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>
> Thx and Greetz,
> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Torsten Fabricius-4
So I need the 'classic' layout!?

On 05.04.2017 10:09, luciash wrote:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> I think you could place custom sidebar in the "Layout Shadows" feature
> textareas when enabled.
>
> luci
>

> On 04/04/2017 04:21 PM, Torsten wrote:
>> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>>
>> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
>> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
>> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
>> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
>> to use for editors etc.
>>
>> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
>> to bring that to production.
>>
>> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
>> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
>> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>>
>> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
>> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
>> a simple button.
>>
>> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
>> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>>
>> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>>
>> Thx and Greetz,
>> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

luciash d' being
Ah, yep, it is in the classic layout only I think, right.

On 04/05/2017 10:30 AM, Torsten wrote:

> So I need the 'classic' layout!?
>
> On 05.04.2017 10:09, luciash wrote:
>> Hi Torsten,
>>
>> I think you could place custom sidebar in the "Layout Shadows" feature
>> textareas when enabled.
>>
>> luci
>>

>> On 04/04/2017 04:21 PM, Torsten wrote:
>>> Hello Devs, mainly Gary and Templaters,
>>>
>>> in a number of projects I have users, who know and like Wordpress, but I
>>> am mostly convinced, that Wordpress is not what we need in those
>>> project. There is some annoying discussion coming up every here and
>>> then, if we should not move to Wordpress, because it is so nice and easy
>>> to use for editors etc.
>>>
>>> A while a ago I did some experimenting with sidebars, but did not manage
>>> to bring that to production.
>>>
>>> I am looking for a sidebar, aybe additional to the left column or
>>> replacing it (I am in favor of additional), where I can place WPesque
>>> admin options similar to our main application menu for admins and editors.
>>>
>>> The sidebar shall have an option to permanently toggle it on wide
>>> screens and to keep it out of the way and toggle it after page-load with
>>> a simple button.
>>>
>>> Is there anything in place yet, that I can use?
>>> I think to remember that one of Gary's new themes has a sidebar!?
>>>
>>> Hints and pointers and any discussion on the sidebar topic is welcome.
>>>
>>> Thx and Greetz,
>>> Torsten

Re: [Tiki-devel] Admin sidebar for Tiki (maybe Wordpress like)

Torsten Fabricius-4
So I need a sidebar and a custom module zone in a classic layout in
shadow layer

Put the sidebar in the custom module zone and mostly done (hopefully).

Agree?