Re: [Tiki-devel] [Tikiwiki-users] Forums Activity and User Support

Re: [Tiki-devel] [Tikiwiki-users] Forums Activity and User Support

Xavier de Pedro (Tiki)
I agree, John, even if I can't find the time lately to provide replies
to t.o/forums lately, personally.

This feature request added more than 2 years ago would help a lot for
this purpose, imho:

https://dev.tiki.org/item5458 - "New option to include 'Threads with no
replies yet' to Daily Reports and to Notification digests"

My 2 cents

Xavi

On 02/26/2017 10:03 PM, jmorris wrote:

> [...]
> Maybe? I think someone with more experience could give him a better answer
> than my, "maybe".
>
> If I were CMaster, and if I were a new user, I would move on, because you
> cannot work with Tiki, without some sort of support.
>
> Now that being said, I also understand that open source software forums
> should be peer to peer support, but truthfully, the peer to peer is not that
> robust if at all on the tiki.org forum. Why?
>
> Whether or not what I just stated is true or not, it is the appearance of
> the forums with zero replies that is not a good thing to have.
> If a new user, or potential user happens upon a support forum where there
> are many zero replies, they are likely to move on, and find another
> software.
>
> The bottom line is this, Tiki is one of the biggest, baddest, greatest,
> nicest, awesomest pieces of cms/wiki open source software applications on
> the market today, but to a new user, without support, none of that matters.
>
> My solution:
> Hosting assignments. We could assign a host(s) to a specific forum, and then
> a topic or comment is posted to that forum, the host is notified, and the
> host should reply or answer within 24 hours, at the most 48 hours. I think
> beyond 24 hours you are pushing the patience of the new user, they are more
> than likely ready to walk away at that point.
>
> If we can retain new users, if we can have a user base that matches the
> downloads rate, this community would be one of the most vibrant open source
> user communities on the web.
>
> There are many things that set Tiki apart from the other guys. I have one of
> the most important items of all time that would really set Tiki apart from
> the other guys, great customer service! None of the other open source wiki
> software, has a customer support, or forum structure that is lively, and
> engaging. We should be different.
>
> If we had a robust and lively forum experience for our users, I guarantee
> you the retention rate would skyrocket, engagement would skyrocket,
> involvement would follow, and quite possibly some very happy users could be
> converted to donors as well.
>
> Customer support is the most important of all aspects of any organization or
> company, that deals with the public. I don't care if the product allows the
> user to teleport themselves across time-zones, without customer support, it
> won't sell.
>
> I know we have user manuals, they are great, but they are often times
> confusing and intimidating for a new user, or experienced user for that
> matter.
>
> Forums, we need them live and robust, and engaged, thanks for reading my
> ramblings today.
> John
>

> -----
> John M.
> Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: [Tiki-devel] [Tikiwiki-users] Forums Activity and User Support

Jonny Bradley-4

Hi John,

You are absolutely right, more low hanging fruit we are just wasting while spending most TikiFests going round in circles trying to work out how we can get more people involved in Tiki!

I try to keep up with several channels (here, IRC, Facebook, linkedin, stack overflow mainly) but have to admit the users mailing list and the forums are just too much to take on as well, but maybe we can work out a way to at least do this "no zero reply threads" thing better.

Great idea Xavi for adding it to daily reports... and meanwhile maybe we (someone ;) could make a page with a list plugin showing empty threads older then 24 hours as a place to check to get thins started.

Also let's add this to the "community issues" section for the next round table - thanks for pointing it out! :)

jonny

> [...]
>> converted to donors as well.
>>
>> Customer support is the most important of all aspects of any organization or
>> company, that deals with the public. I don't care if the product allows the
>> user to teleport themselves across time-zones, without customer support, it
>> won't sell.
>>
>> I know we have user manuals, they are great, but they are often times
>> confusing and intimidating for a new user, or experienced user for that
>> matter.
>>
>> Forums, we need them live and robust, and engaged, thanks for reading my
>> ramblings today.
>> John
>>

>> -----
>> John M.
>> Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: [Tiki-devel] [Tikiwiki-users] Forums Activity and User Support

luciash d' being
+1, great ideas everyone! I thought I am already watching most of the
forums via notifications but perhaps not... 0 replies list plugin would
help!

luci