Re: [Tiki-devel] My replies to HTML mails

Re: [Tiki-devel] My replies to HTML mails

Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant)
Hi Gary,

I thought the same about Thunderbird until I realized last year that my mailbox was about 5 times bigger than it should because I was moving mails to trash instead of truly deleting them. That one is probably more Gmail's fault, but I then reported several big bugs against Thunderbird, and I don't think any has been fixed since. It is so bad that I am reconsidering my personal usage of Thunderbird; I definitely won't recommend it :-(

> Of
> course I don't know what your company's policy is about email
> applications, etc.

Same as for any application - they need to be approved, and approval needs considerable time regardless of the application's quality :-/

> And I've never used Outlook so I can't say how
> Thunderbird compares to it.
>
> -- Gary
>

> On 7/4/2017 10:54 PM, Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant) wrote:
> > Hi luciash J
> >
> > It’s Microsoft Outlook… I searched a lot and couldn’t find a way to get
> > it to do normal replies once a thread becomes HTML.
> >
> > And yes, the organization which employs me is large and has many
> > policies. Besides, I am not sure which e-mail client for Windows I would
> > use anyway L
> >
> > I am really sorry. If anyone can tell me a way to avoid with Outlook, I
> > would appreciate much.

Hi Alexander,
Indeed, it is possible. The problem with this is that the referenced mail is not prefixed with">". And Outlook does not have block insertion AFAICS.

By the way, I did spend at least 1 or 2 hours before today trying to find a way to get this to work in Outlook (version 2013). I guess I could workaround by using the technique you suggest and copy-pasting back and fort each reply to an editor which allows block insertion... :-/

Can you clarify what you mean by "chopping up threads"?

> I'd appreciate it a lot, if you could find some kind of solution to all
> this. I hope your company will understand, that you need proper tools
> to be able to work.

It's unfortunate that this causes such annoyance, but I appreciate that you let me know the impact for you. I will consider the block insertion workaround I described yesterday.

> thanks
> amette
>
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 12:43:04 +0000
> "Cloutier, Philippe (DGARI-Consultant)"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Marc,

Alexander Mette-2
Hi Philippe,

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 12:59:37 +0000
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,

My e-mail client shows messages in a threaded way. Which means that
replies get shown below the original message and so on, in a tree-like
way. See the image at [1].

When you answer, your e-mail client doesn't reference the previous
message, which results in your e-mail starting a new thread instead of
continuing the existing one.

This "My replies to HTML mails" thread is already four different
threads. That's why I say "chopping up".

> > I'd appreciate it a lot, if you could find some kind of solution to
> > all this. I hope your company will understand, that you need proper
> > tools to be able to work.
>
> It's unfortunate that this causes such annoyance, but I appreciate
> that you let me know the impact for you. I will consider the block
> insertion workaround I described yesterday.

That would be awesome, thanks!

cheers
amette

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading