Please vote for Tiki on Freshmeat

Marc Laporte
Hi everyone!

As of now, 11 out of 118 people (9.32%) who voted for us on Freshmeat
gave 1 on 10.

I feel this is a totally unfair assessment. I ask you to vote your
honest opinion of Tiki:
http://freshmeat.net/rate/31717/

Freshmeat says: "you may rate the project based upon usability, ease of
installation, feature completeness, etc."

I would add (when you rate projects in general), please take into
account a balance of everything. (number of features, stability, ease of
use, documentation, vitality of the community, etc)

If you are in the voting mode, please also vote for Tiki here:

http://www.hotscripts.com/rate/18820.html
http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix?func=viewDetail&wid=2&listingId=1025
http://www.unesco.org/cgi-bin/webworld/portal_freesoftware/cgi/rate.cgi?ID=590&d=1
http://osdir.com/Downloads+index-req-viewdownloaddetails-lid-254-ttitle-Tiki.phtml
http://php.resourceindex.com/detail/02761.html
http://www.scriptsearch.com/details/8829.html

Thanks!!!

--
M ;-)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/                                                                /
/ Marc Laporte       <|>                  http://marclaporte.com /
/ Avantech.net       <|>                     http://avantech.net /
/ Tiki CMS/Groupware <|> http://tikiwiki.org/UserPagemarclaporte /
/                                                                /
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Re: Please vote for Tiki on Freshmeat

d.r.newman (Bugzilla)
On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 12:13 -0300, Marc Laporte wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> As of now, 11 out of 118 people (9.32%) who voted for us on Freshmeat
> gave 1 on 10.

Which means that 107 out of 118 rated Tiki higher. It's not bad for the
tail of a distribution. I'd be more concerned if the mode was below 5.

> Freshmeat says: "you may rate the project based upon usability, ease of
> installation, feature completeness, etc."

That's the problem with the way Freshmeat designs its voting system.
Each person will weight those factors differently. So someone who wants
full integration between features (rather than lots of different tables)
will give it a low rating, while those who are keen on lots of features
will give it a very high rating.

To do it properly (whether on Freshmeat, or in your own polls, quizzes
and surveys on Tikiwiki), you need to get separate ratings for each
factor, so people can tell us the strengths and weaknesses of each
factor.

If you need an overall winner, it is better to get people to rank
alternatives, rather than rate them. Then they are forced to say which
is better, and what they will settle for if they don't get their first
choice (like politicians in Northern Ireland). You can then use either
Condorcet comparisons or a de Borda count to work out overall positions.
See http://www.deborda.org/

If there are too many to rank (e.g. every free CMS), then you can ask
people which they have used, and get them to rank a random subset of
half a dozen of those. Or you could even do a repertory grid.

And now you have some design requirements for better survey voting
features on Tikiwiki! At the moment I'm using PHP Surveyor for that as
it is more flexible in question types, and has more advanced features.

--
D. R. Newman <[hidden email]>

Re: DogFooding Tiki surveys to help with Tiki community priorities was: Please vote for Tiki on Freshmeat

Marc Laporte
Hi David!

I checked out:
http://phpsurveyor.sourceforge.net/questions.php
http://phpsurveyor.sourceforge.net/demo.php

PHP Surveyor looks very interesting.

I would like to DogFood Tiki surveys to help our management of the Tiki
community. Preferential voting would be very helpful here. I think with
just a little work we could have something very useful.

For example, I would like a sense of the Tiki community on what most
users & devs would like most. If I ask, "should we do this?" the answer
is often going to be sure, why not, make it optional, etc. Also,
currently, people who provide their advice more often (IRC, forums,
mailing lists, etc) tend to be "right", much the same way that the last
one who commits "wins". But is that what the silent majority thinks?

Most of the time, our developers are scratching their own itch, and what
the “community” thinks is not that important. However, we do have a
limited number of resources, developers that offer their time and are
ready to work on pretty much any feature. Where should we direct their
energies? As release manager for 1.9.0, I had access to many of the
developers and effectively coordinated what they should do according to
the feedback I received, my best judgment and by using the trackers
(priority field).

So, I agree fully with you that forcing people to express a priority in
their opinion is crucial because we have to do the same thing when we
decide what to work on.

Here are our 5 current survey types:

<option value='c' >One choice</option>
<option value='m' >Multiple choices</option>
<option value='t' >Short text</option>
<option value='r' >Rate (1..5)</option>
<option value='s' >Rate (1..10)</option>

The important one that is missing. We would need to add 'o'
<option value='o' >Order among these choices</option>

I would like an optional comment box too (so people can explain why they
made that choice) but I can get around that by using the short text in
the next question.

Now, the more tricky part is the stats. Many methods are interesting.
http://www.deborda.org/votingsys.shtml#1
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Condorcets_Method
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method (used by Debian)
And I saw many others.

Ideally, we would offer many options in Tiki to show results. But since
our resources are limited, what is a simple, straightforward (easy to
program) way to show the results of this preferential vote?

Thanks!

M ;-)

D. R. Newman wrote:

>If you need an overall winner, it is better to get people to rank
>alternatives, rather than rate them. Then they are forced to say which
>is better, and what they will settle for if they don't get their first
>choice (like politicians in Northern Ireland). You can then use either
>Condorcet comparisons or a de Borda count to work out overall positions.
>See http://www.deborda.org/
>
>If there are too many to rank (e.g. every free CMS), then you can ask
>people which they have used, and get them to rank a random subset of
>half a dozen of those. Or you could even do a repertory grid.
>
>And now you have some design requirements for better survey voting
>features on Tikiwiki! At the moment I'm using PHP Surveyor for that as
>it is more flexible in question types, and has more advanced features.

--
M ;-)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/                                                                /
/ Marc Laporte       <|>                  http://marclaporte.com /
/ Avantech.net       <|>                     http://avantech.net /
/ Tiki CMS/Groupware <|> http://tikiwiki.org/UserPagemarclaporte /
/                                                                /
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

RE: DogFooding Tiki surveys to help with Tiki community priorities was: Please vote for Tiki on Freshmeat

Jason Diceman
Hi

In my experience, the most useful survey structure and results format is a
matrix where you can decide the rows and columns.

E.g.

What fruits do you like best?

1. Apples
2. Oranges
3. Pears

And for each option you can pick one of:
A (love it) B (it's OK) C (Yuck) D (Never tried it)

This is similar to the rating scale but you decided the labels and the
results should be graphed to show the number of points for each letter for
each fruit.

Just averaging a rating of 1-5 does not capture where there is strong
polarization in results, i.e. lots of 1s and 5s.

Additionally,  there should definitely be a comma and TAB separated results
export option.

</my 2 cents>

Cheers

 - jd- -