Consensus on Full Text Search change

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Consensus on Full Text Search change

peter-8

please see my post to 1.9 bug tracker at:

 

            http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tracker_item.php?itemId=166&show=view&status=op&trackerId=5&sort_mode=f_41_desc

 

basically I am suggesting fixing the Full Text Search routine.

 

briefly (if I can):

 

-          FT search should do AND function

-          at first it seems to be doing OR (which is silly concept for a search routine!!)

-          after looking at code I can see that it Is doing AND; but if no results are found it does an OR (simple search) everywhere

 

ok, maybe just me; but that seems to defeat the purpose of doing AND.

 

perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad; but the simple search then passes the + signed search terms to simple search routine which chokes on the + signs.

 

so, I think, with FT Search enabled, current code does:

 

red ball              - red OR ball

+red +ball          - query error

 

my fix (i.e. removing code to do simple search if no results):

 

red ball              - red OR ball      (this should likely alos be changed to default to +red +ball and do an AND

+red +ball          - red AND ball

 

One last comment – there is also a bug in the code to do the FT Search; as mentioned in my comment on the bug tracker item listed above.

 

I guess if no one objects, and I figure out how to submit code, will submit my changes by the end of the week… AND THEN, when TW.org gets the updated code I can finally do a search on the TW forums… Yeaaaa!!!

 

Peter Lindstrom

All Analog - Technical Design Consulting

Ottawa, ON

Voice:  613-612-1419

Email:  pta@...

Web:   www.allanalog.com 

 

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Consensus on Full Text Search change

Robin Lee Powell
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 05:46:29PM -0400, peter wrote:
> basically I am suggesting fixing the Full Text Search routine.

I was under the impression that that had been entirely turned off in
favour of using a table of search terms.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** http://www.lojban.org/
Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes
Want to be the first software developer in space?
Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7412&alloc_id=16344&op=click
_______________________________________________
Tikiwiki-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Consensus on Full Text Search change

Jason Diceman
In reply to this post by peter-8

Any improvement to search engine results is really appreciated.   

 

AND should definitely be the default.

 

Cheers

 

 - jd- - -

 


From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of peter
Sent: May 17, 2005 5:46 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Tikiwiki-devel] Consensus on Full Text Search change

 

please see my post to 1.9 bug tracker at:

 

            http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tracker_item.php?itemId=166&show=view&status=op&trackerId=5&sort_mode=f_41_desc

 

basically I am suggesting fixing the Full Text Search routine.

 

briefly (if I can):

 

-       FT search should do AND function

-       at first it seems to be doing OR (which is silly concept for a search routine!!)

-       after looking at code I can see that it Is doing AND; but if no results are found it does an OR (simple search) everywhere

 

ok, maybe just me; but that seems to defeat the purpose of doing AND.

 

perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad; but the simple search then passes the + signed search terms to simple search routine which chokes on the + signs.

 

so, I think, with FT Search enabled, current code does:

 

red ball              - red OR ball

+red +ball          - query error

 

my fix (i.e. removing code to do simple search if no results):

 

red ball              - red OR ball      (this should likely alos be changed to default to +red +ball and do an AND

+red +ball          - red AND ball

 

One last comment – there is also a bug in the code to do the FT Search; as mentioned in my comment on the bug tracker item listed above.

 

I guess if no one objects, and I figure out how to submit code, will submit my changes by the end of the week… AND THEN, when TW.org gets the updated code I can finally do a search on the TW forums… Yeaaaa!!!

 

Peter Lindstrom

All Analog - Technical Design Consulting

Ottawa, ON

Voice:  613-612-1419

Email:  pta@...

Web:   www.allanalog.com 

 

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Consensus on Full Text Search change

rleibman
Jason Diceman wrote:

> Any improvement to search engine results is really appreciated.
>
> AND should definitely be the default.
>
I haven't looked at this in any detail but... what about using full text
searches in mysql? I remember postgress has something similar, have no
idea about others.

> Cheers
>
> - jd- - -
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] *On Behalf Of *peter
> *Sent:* May 17, 2005 5:46 PM
> *To:* [hidden email]
> *Subject:* [Tikiwiki-devel] Consensus on Full Text Search change
>
> please see my post to 1.9 bug tracker at:
>
> http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tracker_item.php?itemId=166&show=view&status=op&trackerId=5&sort_mode=f_41_desc 
> <http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tracker_item.php?itemId=166&show=view&status=op&trackerId=5&sort_mode=f_41_desc>
>
> basically I am suggesting fixing the Full Text Search routine.
>
> briefly (if I can):
>
> - FT search should do AND function
>
> - at first it seems to be doing OR (which is silly concept for a
> search routine!!)
>
> - after looking at code I can see that it Is doing AND; but if no
> results are found it does an OR (simple search) everywhere
>
> ok, maybe just me; but that seems to defeat the purpose of doing AND.
>
> perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad; but the simple search then passes the
> + signed search terms to simple search routine which chokes on the +
> signs.
>
> so, I think, with FT Search enabled, current code does:
>
> red ball - red OR ball
>
> +red +ball - query error
>
> my fix (i.e. removing code to do simple search if no results):
>
> red ball - red OR ball (this should likely alos be changed to default
> to +red +ball and do an AND
>
> +red +ball - red AND ball
>
> One last comment – there is also a bug in the code to do the FT
> Search; as mentioned in my comment on the bug tracker item listed above.
>
> I guess if no one objects, and I figure out how to submit code, will
> submit my changes by the end of the week… AND THEN, when TW.org gets
> the updated code I can finally do a search on the TW forums… Yeaaaa!!!
>
> *Peter** Lindstrom*
>
> All Analog - Technical Design Consulting
>
> Ottawa, ON
>
> Voice: 613-612-1419
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Web: www.allanalog.com <http://www.allanalog.com/> **
>



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes
Want to be the first software developer in space?
Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7412&alloc_id=16344&op=click
_______________________________________________
Tikiwiki-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Consensus on Full Text Search change

Florian Gleixner-2


Hi,

i'd like to clarify:

Peter Lindstrom talks about the "Mysql Fulltext" search. This feature can
be activated by activating the feature "search"
and klicking the "full text search" checkbox in tiki-admin.php?page=search
(i guess). SOme time ago one also needed to create extra FT indexes
in mysql. I did not check if they are now in the standard schema.

There is a second search module that uses a reverse key indextable and LRU
lists for caching syllable queries. It is also able to do full text
searches but is not mysql dependant. LRU lists and other things are
configurable at tiki-admin.php?page=search in the section "Settings for
searching content". This method is still somewhat limited.

More info about this method:
http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=SearchDev
read the chapter about "new search functionality"

At tikiwiki.org the "mysql fulltext" search is switched off!

The following files belong to "mysql fulltext" search:
tiki-searchresults.php
lib/searchlib.php
templates/modules/mod-search_box.tpl

The following files belong to "db independant" search:
tiki-searchindex.php
lib/search/searchlib.php
templates/modules/mod-search_new.tpl

Flo

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Roberto Leibman wrote:

> Jason Diceman wrote:
>
>> Any improvement to search engine results is really appreciated.
>>
>> AND should definitely be the default.
>>
> I haven't looked at this in any detail but... what about using full text
> searches in mysql? I remember postgress has something similar, have no idea
> about others.
>
>> Cheers
>>
>> - jd- - -
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> *From:* [hidden email]
>> [mailto:[hidden email]] *On Behalf Of *peter
>> *Sent:* May 17, 2005 5:46 PM
>> *To:* [hidden email]
>> *Subject:* [Tikiwiki-devel] Consensus on Full Text Search change
>>
>> please see my post to 1.9 bug tracker at:
>>
>> http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tracker_item.php?itemId=166&show=view&status=op&trackerId=5&sort_mode=f_41_desc 
>> <http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tracker_item.php?itemId=166&show=view&status=op&trackerId=5&sort_mode=f_41_desc>
>>
>> basically I am suggesting fixing the Full Text Search routine.
>>
>> briefly (if I can):
>>
>> - FT search should do AND function
>>
>> - at first it seems to be doing OR (which is silly concept for a search
>> routine!!)
>>
>> - after looking at code I can see that it Is doing AND; but if no results
>> are found it does an OR (simple search) everywhere
>>
>> ok, maybe just me; but that seems to defeat the purpose of doing AND.
>>
>> perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad; but the simple search then passes the +
>> signed search terms to simple search routine which chokes on the + signs.
>>
>> so, I think, with FT Search enabled, current code does:
>>
>> red ball - red OR ball
>>
>> +red +ball - query error
>>
>> my fix (i.e. removing code to do simple search if no results):
>>
>> red ball - red OR ball (this should likely alos be changed to default to
>> +red +ball and do an AND
>>
>> +red +ball - red AND ball
>>
>> One last comment – there is also a bug in the code to do the FT Search; as
>> mentioned in my comment on the bug tracker item listed above.
>>
>> I guess if no one objects, and I figure out how to submit code, will
>> submit my changes by the end of the week… AND THEN, when TW.org gets the
>> updated code I can finally do a search on the TW forums… Yeaaaa!!!
>>
>> *Peter** Lindstrom*
>>
>> All Analog - Technical Design Consulting
>>
>> Ottawa, ON
>>
>> Voice: 613-612-1419
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>>
>> Web: www.allanalog.com <http://www.allanalog.com/> **
>>
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes
> Want to be the first software developer in space?
> Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes!
> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7412&alloc_id=16344&op=click
> _______________________________________________
> Tikiwiki-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>