Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

jmorris
Dear folks, when I first installed my Tiki, I was pretty ignorant how things worked, I still am. Please see attached Server Check results for my character encoding.
I am unable to set these appropriately as it appears it needs to be done during a fresh installation. It is too late according to the information found at https://doc.tiki.org/Understanding+Encoding

Please see my screen shot attached for my server check.
Will this cause issues in the future? Thanks for any feedback.
John M.
Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

Xavier de Pedro (Tiki)
No idea for sure, but maybe not.

Sorry, not clear area for many of us, I'm afraid. If you don't
experienced any issues now, there are high chances that you don't
experience them either in the future.

My 2 cents.

Xavi

On 12/31/2016 07:57 AM, jmorris wrote:

> Dear folks, when I first installed my Tiki, I was pretty ignorant how things
> worked, I still am. Please see attached Server Check results for my
> character encoding.
> I am unable to set these appropriately as it appears it needs to be done
> during a fresh installation. It is too late according to the information
> found at https://doc.tiki.org/Understanding+Encoding
>
> Please see my screen shot attached for my server check.
> Will this cause issues in the future? Thanks for any feedback.
> <http://tikiwiki.1073613.n5.nabble.com/file/n37303/Capture.jpg>
>

> -----
> John M.
> Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

jmorris
Thanks a heap Xavi, no issues as of yet, so it's probably something I can just not really bother on.
But I'll keep it on the side just in case.
Thanks sir
John
John M.
Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

"Tóth Attila"
If the tables have their character sets and collation defined explicitly,
the server default (my.cnf) doesn't really matter. I can't exactly recall
how many years ago the default setting in my.cnf on gentoo has been
changed from latin1 to utf-8. My bet it must be an install using atavistic
my.cnf or intentionally left in that way because of some compatibility
reasons.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

2017.Január 4.(Sze) 07:25 időpontban jmorris ezt írta:

> Thanks a heap Xavi, no issues as of yet, so it's probably something I can
> just not really bother on.
> But I'll keep it on the side just in case.
> Thanks sir
> John
>

> -----
> John M.
> Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

jmorris
Thank you so much Toth, more words from experience, it is very encouraging, thanks!
John M.
Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

Jean-Marc Libs
Hi John,

Please keep in mind that "Ugly" is a matter of eastethics, something which might be better in an ideal world. But really.
In this case, the reports are about the server configs. If you ignore them, Tiki will just override these defaults explicitly.

"Bad" is something which actually needs fixing.

Cheers,
Jyherm

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 7:57 AM, jmorris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear folks, when I first installed my Tiki, I was pretty ignorant how things
worked, I still am. Please see attached Server Check results for my
character encoding.
I am unable to set these appropriately as it appears it needs to be done
during a fresh installation. It is too late according to the information
found at https://doc.tiki.org/Understanding+Encoding

Please see my screen shot attached for my server check.
Will this cause issues in the future? Thanks for any feedback.
<http://tikiwiki.1073613.n5.nabble.com/file/n37303/Capture.jpg>

-----
John M.
Just learning enough Tiki to be dangerous!

Re: Character Sets and Collation Server are "UGLY"

jmorris
Thanks so much Jean, that makes me feel even better, I took care of my "Bad" some time ago, mainly due to upload file size and post size etc.
I appreciate your feedback,
Cheers